Radio // chapter 9

Y/n's POV 

I stay in my room for the rest of the night, comforting El on and off. When I wake up, she's gone, and I can hear the sound of Karen talking to Ted. I swallow hard, pushing the door open slowly and listening at the hallway. 

'Should I go down and talk to Michael?' Ted's whispered tone frightens me. 

'Give him time. He'll come to us when he's ready.' Karen says. I sigh, walking down to the basement and leaning against the staircase. 

Feedback from the radio echoes back at me and I rest my head in my knees, whispering. 

'Can you please stop that?' Mike says loudly, huffing at my sister from the couch. She ignores him, fiddling with the buttons, and I lean closer, looking down at them both. Mike's flicking through pictures that Will drew. 

The radio turns off, then on with a sudden click. 

'Are you deaf?  I thought we were friends, you know? But friends tell each other the truth. And they definitely don't lie to each other. You made me think Will was okay, that he was still out there, but he wasn't. He wasn't! Maybe you thought you were helping, but you weren't. You hurt me. Do you understand? What you did sucks. Lucas was right about you. All along.' I grit my teeth, listening to Mike's agonizing speech. 

Sure, El lead us in the wrong direction. But she didn't know what she was doing. I know- I know that she thought he was alive. 

The static crackles on the radio, and a small voice comes out of it.

 ♪ So come on and let me know ♪
♪ Should I stay or should I go? ♪
♪ Should I stay or should I go now? ♪
♪ If I go there will be trouble ♪
♪ If I stay it will be double ♪

I stand up suddenly, throwing myself down the stairs. 

'Will, is that you? It's Mike! Do you copy? Over.' Mike gasps, standing up and staring at the Walkie.  El's hands tremble, the familiar trickle of blood running down her face. Leaning over her, I wipe it away with a tissue. 
Static crackles, and Will's voice disappears. 

' Will, are you there?' Mike shouts into the Walkie. 

'Will!' I say over his shoulder. Interference meets my ears, and then silence. 'Will!' 

'Was that? Was it...' 

'Will.' Eleven says finally..