Abort // chapter eleven

Third Person's POV 

'Okay, remember, if anyone sees us, look sad.' Mike says, looking at El. The five walk down the hall, rushing, but trying not to make it obvious. 

'Attention students, there will be an assembly to honor Will Byers in the gymnasium now.
Do not go to fourth period.' The announcement rings out through the school, momentarily confusing El.

'It's locked.' Y/n says after a moment of trying the door. 

'What?' Mike says. 

'Hey, do you think you can open it? With your powers?' Dustin suggests to El. 

Y/n rolls her eyes, and then closes them quickly, turning two fingers into lock picks. Wiping the blood from her nose, she sticks both into the tiny hole, twisting them around until the lock clicks. 

'Boys?' Mr. Clark says, coming around the corner. Y/n shoves her lock pick hands into her pocket and the boys crowd around her. 

'Hey.' Lucas says, putting on an awkward grin. 

'Assembly's about to start.' He says, his face a grim line of regret. 

'We know. We're just, you know... Upset.' Y/n says softly. 

'About Will.' Mike adds, as if there was something else to be upset about. 

'Yeah, definitely upset.' Dustin says.

'We need some alone time.' Y/n starts. 

'To cry.' Dustin finishes. 

'Yeah, listen... I get it. I do. I know how hard this is, but let's just be there for Will, huh? And then...
the Heathkit is all yours for the rest of the day. What do you say?' He pauses.  'I don't believe we've met. What's your name?' 

'Eleven—' El starts to say. 

'Eleanor! She's my, uh—' Mike stammers, breaking off. 

'Cousin.' Lucas says. 

'Second cousin.' Dustin holds up the number two, dramatically pointing his fingers at Mr. Clark. 

'She's here for Will's funeral.' Mike explains. 

'Ah, well, welcome to Hawkins Middle, Eleanor. I wish you were here under better circumstances.' Mr. Clark nods.  

'Thank you.' El says. 

'Uh, where are you from exactly?' Mr. Clark frowns. 

'Bad place—' El starts. 

'Sweden!' Y/n says loudly. 

'I have a lot of Swedish family.' Mike nods. 

'She hates it there.' Y/n bites her lip. 

'Cold!' Lucas offers. 

'Subzero.' Dustin says. 

'Shall we?' Mr. Clark gives us a weird look, but continues down the hallway. 

'Yep!'

'At times like these... it is important that we come together as a community. We come-' The principal says, in the middle of his speech when the group blasts in, the doors swinging wildly. 

'Abort.' Dustin says, attempting to turn around, but Lucas pushes him forward. 

...

Y/n's POV 

'We come together to heal... we come together to grieve...Will Byers' death is an unimaginable tragedy. Will was an exceptional student and a wonderful friend to all of us. It's impossible to express the hole his loss will leave in our community. I'd like to introduce you to Sandy Sloane. She's a local grief counselor from the church over in Jonesboro. But before she comes up here, I just want those of you who are having trouble dealing with this tragic loss...' 

I start to tune out, listening to the whispers breaking out. 

'Look at these fakers.' I roll my eyes. 

'They probably didn't even know his name till today.' Mike agrees. El places her hand on mine, reassuring me with her eyes. I smile back at her reluctantly. 
I can see Troy, a couple rows below us, chuckling loudly with no shame whatsoever.

'Who is interested in this? This is so stupid.' He mutters to James, who laughs. 

'Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...' they both break out in stupid guffaws. 

'Oh, he was such a great student.' Troy mocks, crying softly to James. 'Oh, he's going to leave a hole in the community.' 

'Mouth breather.' El whispers from beside me. 

..

The bell rings, shocking me out of anger. 

'Hey! Hey! Hey, Troy!' I yell, smacking the back of his shoulder. 

'You... you think this is funny?' Mike glares daggers at him. 

'What'd you say, Wheeler?' James snarls. 

'I saw you guys laughing over there. And I think that's a real messed up thing to do.' Mike says. 

'Didn't you listen to the counselor, Wheeler? Grief shows itself in funny ways.' Troy smirks. 'Besides, what's there to be sad about, anyway? Will's in fairyland now, right? Flying around with all the other little fairies. All happy and gay!' 

Troy flaps around like a fake little fairy. Forgetting myself for a second, I yank his arm back, twisting it around and holding up a hand that's still a lock pick. I press it up against Troy's neck, hissing.

Troy grunts, whimpering softly. 

'Say it again.' My voice is dead calm. 

'Y/n, let go of him,' Mike says. I let go, and Mike shoves him down. 

'You're crazy,' Troy stammers, looking up at me. His feet kick away at the ground helplessly as he scrambles to stand. 

'A-and you're dead, Wheeler! Dead!' He glares at Mike. I take a step towards him, but before i can do anything, Troy freezes. A trickle of something spreads down his pant legs and a loud murmuring surrounds us. 

'Dude, Troy peed himself.' Some guy laughs, making his way by. Troy's face is pure horror as he stares down at himself. 

'Holy shit!' Dustin gasps. 

'Hey! What's going on here?' A teachers voice says, and we scramble away. 

'Mike! Let's go!' I say as El wipes blood from her nose. 

...