A New Weapon //chapter 19

'Guys?' I murmur, listening to the slight sound of a helicopter. The whirring moves over the trees, echoing around the field. 'Do you hear that?'

'Go, go, go, go!' Mike yells, trying to push his bike under the huge bus. 

'Come on, come on!' Dustin shouts, ushering us all into the old school bus. We all climb into it, huddling down beside the aisle of seats. 

'Get down!' Mike says. The helicopter seems to fade away as we all look at each other in shock. It disappears after a few minutes and we sit up. 

'That was close.' I mutter. 'Mental.'

'Mike, are you there? Mike?'

'You guys hear that?' Dustin whispers. We all look towards Mike's Walkie. 

'Mike, it's me, Nancy. Mike, are you there? Answer. Mike, we need you to answer.' Nancy's voice come out muffled. 

'Is that your sister?' Lucas asks, confused. 

'This is an emergency, Mike. Do you copy? Mike, do you copy? Nancy says. 

'Okay, this is really weird.' Dustin remarks. 

'Don't answer.' Lucas tries to take the Walkie. 

'She said it was an emergency.' He argues. 

'What if it's a trick?' Mike shoots back. 

'It's your sister!' Lucas points out. 

'What if the bad people kidnapped her? What if they're forcing her to say this?' Mike waves his arms. 

'I need you to answer.'

'It's like Lando Calrissian. Don't answer.' Dustin mumbles. 

'We need to know that you're there, Mike.'

'Listen, kid, this is the chief. If you're there, pick up. We know you're in trouble and we know about the girl.'

'Why is she with the chief?' Lucas wonders. 

'How the hell does he know about...' I trail off. 

'We can protect you, we can help you, but you gotta pick up. Are you there? Do you copy? Over.' 
After some hesitation, I nod, and Mike picks it back up. 

'Yeah, I copy. It's Mike. I'm here. We're here.' 

We wait in silence for awhile before I open my mouth. 

'Guys..' I say. 'I have something to tell you.' 

'What is it?' Mike asks. 

'Something weird happened, when you and Lucas were arguing.' I explain hesitantly. 'Well, you remember when Lucas was thrown in the air?' 

'Yeah, when I hit the truck,' Lucas avoids El's eyes. 

'No, the first time.' I swallow. 

'Right, yeah, I remember,' Mike says. 

'That was me,' I say. 'I did that, by accident.' 

'What?' Mike gasps. 'I thought it was El that time, too.' 

'Yeah, me too,' Lucas adds. 

'I think.....I think I can create this energy,' I admit, holding my hands in front of me. A bluish light forms, crackling in a tiny ball. Moving my hands outwards, I expand it. 

It writhes and twists in my hands glowing like a fluorescent light. 

'I thought your power was shapeshifting.' Dustin remarks. 

'It is,' I say. 'But this is a new power. That i didn't even know I had.' 

'Huh,' Luca says. 'So what does this mean?' 

'It means we have a better chance fighting the Demogorgon,' Dustin exclaims.