Fugitives // chapter 18

Y/n's POV 

'Don't you dare go in there.' I say for the fifth time as Dustin moves towards the bathroom. 'I told you, Mike's just helping El clean up.' 

'But what if they're-' He starts. 

'They aren't making out!' I grumble. 'Just talking.' 

'Guys!' A panicked voice comes from Dustin's Walkie. 'Help!' 

'Is that?' I point at it, frowning. 

'Lucas.' Dustin presses the button. 'Come in, Lucas! Can you hear me? Over!' 

'Okay now you can go get them,' I say, taking the Walkie from Dustin. 'Lucas! Lucas, are you there? Over!' 

'Guys!' Dustin pants, bursting the door open. 'It's Lucas, I think he's in trouble. Do you remember how he said he was looking for the gate?' 

'Yeah,' Mike says. 

'What if he found it?' I say. We can hear Lucas yelling through the radio, all his words muffled and impossible to make out. 

'What's he saying?' Mike asks, looking at Dustin. 

'I don't know, he's way out of range.' Dustin says. I sit next to El, listening intently. 

'......son of a bitch!' Lucas's voice yells. 

'Lucas, if you can hear us, slow down. We can't understand you.' Mike says urgently. 

'Yes, I copy! Do you? They know about Eleven! Get out of there! They know about Eleven! The bad men are coming! All of them! Do you hear me? The bad men are coming!' Lucas's voice breaks out, shouting loudly through the radio. 

'"Mad hen." Does that mean anything to you?' Dustin tilts his head. 'Like a code name or something?' 

'The bad men are coming!' Lucas yells again. 

'"Bad men."' I gasp. 

'Bad men!' Mike shouts, turning around. The radio statics loudly. 'Stay here.' Dustin follows him. 

...

I sit with El, waiting for Mike to come back. 

'It's okay.' I say. 'It's probably fine..' Just then, Mike blasts into the basement. Without a word, we follow him out the back door, grabbing our bikes and riding away. 

'Go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go!' Dustin yells. Once we get to the road we jump on, watching as a bunch of men get out. We pedal off, rapidly speeding down the road. 

'Oh, my God. Oh, my God. Oh, my God. Oh, my God. Oh, my God.' Dustin says, panicky. 

'Dustin! Dustin, do you copy?' Lucas says over the radio. 

'Yeah, Lucas, they're on us.' Dustin replies. 

'Where are you?' 

'-Cornwallis.' I interrupt. 

'Meet me at Elm and Cherry!' Lucas answers. 

'Copy. Elm and Cherry!' Dustin says. 

'Okay.' Mike responds. 

'Shit!' Dustin yells. 

'This way, come on!' Mike turns sharply.

We blast through the park, interrupting a couple of girls playing. 

'Out of the way! Out of the way!' Dustin yells, ringing the bell on his bike. 

'Lucas!' Mike says, stopping to turn to his friend. 

'Where are they?' Lucas gasps. 

'I don't know.' 

'I think we lost them.' Dustin says. 

'Go, go, go, go, go!' Mike screams, and Dustin continues to yell his head off. 'Go, go, go, go, go! Faster, faster! 

'Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit!' Dustin yells as the van in front of us flips up into the air. It crashes behind us, courtesy of El, stopping all the other vans in their tracks. 

'Holy... holy shit!' I say. 

'Did... did you see what she did to that van?' Dustin gasps. 

'No, Dustin, we missed it.' Mike says sarcastically. 

'I mean that was...' Dustin stutters. 

'Awesome.' Lucas finishes. 'It was awesome. Everything I said about you being a traitor and stuff... I was wrong. I'm sorry.' 

'Friends... friends don't lie. I'm sorry, too.' El whispers. 

'Me, too.' Mike finishes, holding out his hand. 

'This is Randolph Road, right here. The fence starts here, and goes all the way around. And this is the lab right here. The gate's gotta be in there somewhere. It's gotta be.' Lucas says urgently. 

'Well, who owns Hawkins Lab?' Dustin wonders. 

'The sign says "Department of Energy."' Lucas says. 

'Department of Energy? What do you think that means?' Dustin asks. 

'It means government. Military.' I explain. 

'Then why does it say "Energy"?' Dustin frowns.  

'Just trust me, all right?' I say. 'I lived there..Kay?' Dustin nods 

'There's soldiers out front.' Lucas says. 

'Do they make, like, light bulbs or something?' Dustin mutters. 

'No, weapons... to fight the Russians, and commies and stuff.' Mike explains. 

'Weapons.' Lucas gasps. 

'Oh, Jesus, this is bad.' Dustin shakes his head. 

'Really bad. The place is like a fortress.' Lucas adds. 

'Well, what do we do?' Dustin sighs. 

'I don't know, but we can't go home. We're fugitives now.' Mike says.