History Repeats Itself

After a much less sober night of conversation with Elliot,  I finally worked up enough courage to ask him about the dreaded Apex Games.

"So, Elliot.." I began.

He looked at me inquisitively, waiting for my question.

"You said you were in the games.. right?"

"Mhm!"

"W-What were they like?" I slurred, taking another sip from my pina colada. 

He pondered the question for a bit before answering. 

"Well, in a sense, they were scary." Stated Elliot. "But at the same time, I saw it as an o- op- opport- a chance to make my mom proud."

I nodded and waited for him to continue.

"Not only that, even though I was devastated to be drafted, my mom never lost hope in me."

He thought for a moment before making eye contact with me, and then smiling.

"Why'd you want to know?"

I reluctantly looked down and fiddled with my thumbs.

"They.. scare me. I don't want to be drafted, but you didn't deserve to be drafted either. I cant be selfish," I said, soft spoken. "And I think it was really brave of you to come out on top, and be victorious."

He smirked and relaxed back into the lounge chair.

"Well, you've got that right!" He arrogantly remarked. "But, seriously (Y/N), try not to think about the games too much. It was a million to one chance that I got picked. And, many b-b-bena- good things came out of it. I got money to start this bar!"

I laughed and tried to contain my thoughts. If I did get drafted, I would miss out on so many things, like meeting new people like Elliot or teaching my students. It would be devastating.

Elliot booped my nose, trying to cheer me up.

As if on cue, the big tv screen suddenly roared to life.

"Breaking News tonight, in Solace City."

"Oh, gracious.." I nervously commented.

Elliot, along with all of the customers, turned their attention to the news.

"The Apex Games have arrived quicker than we thought," announced the woman on tv. "Drafts will begin tonight, as Hammond Productions have already completed their construction of a battle arena on an island called King's Canyon.