20

It was 2:00am and I couldn't sleep. All afternoon Tate had ignored me and rightly so. But I don't want to be an arsehole like my 'dad' and be an arsehole. I could never forgive myself if I ever did something to my pup accidental or not, I just couldn't do that.

I had told mama my worries about being a father and how Tate is scared of losing me and wants to have a pup incase that fear comes true. Mama said that he didn't blame Tate for wanting that, but he could also see why if don't want to be a dad. Tommy also said that we still had a few years before we started a family and we have time to think about it.

As Tate slept, I sat up and rubbed my face not being able to sleep. My hand caught my injury making me wince but ignore it and move my hands away. Right now I feel like them. How I've made my mate cry. I never want to make Tate cry, I never did but here I am sat next to my sleeping mate who had dry tear stains on her cheeks.

Since I couldn't sleep, I got up and went downstairs of my grandparents house. The pack doctors had told me I had to stay until my wounds had healed so they could keep a close eye on me to make sure I didn't worsen it or get into any fights. When I got to the living room, I stopped by the threshold seeing Kolby bouncing the same little boy he had on his hip days ago.

"Sorry, did I wake you?" He asked worriedly.

"No. Couldn't sleep." I replied.

"Neither could this little one. He reminds me a lot of Arlo when he was little." He chuckled a little.

"Hmm. Cara wasn't the best sleeper either. Especially when we moved into our own rooms, she couldn't sleep in her own room until she was eleven. At that point mama and dad told her that we were both getting too big for her to keep staying in my room so she started sleeping in her own room." I smiled at the memory. One of many I like to think back on about my family.

"Yeah. Elias and I would stay with him when he was two to around six since he was convinced there were monsters under the bed and in his wardrobe. Even when we checked he was still adamant we stayed with him."

"Aren't you tired?" I asked changing the subject. "I've heard you down here like five times tonight."

"Well yeah, but being a father means sacrificing all that for the pup. In these times they're more important than sleep." Kolby chuckled again.

"How old is he?"

"One and a half. My oldest is thirteen." He replied.

"Cool." Was all I could say. "What's their names?"

"My oldest is Ryan, and this little guy is Xander."

"I take it Ryan is next beta." I said.

"Yeah. But not for a long while. He still needs to go to school, then when he's fifteen into beta school then at seventeen he'll take over my place. Same for Ej when he becomes alpha." He explained.

"Who's Ej?" I frowned a little.

"Elias' oldest. He's fourteen and is next to be alpha. His youngest is Thomas who turned two a few weeks before you came."

"What's Ej short for? If it's Elias junior I feel sorry for the kid." I scoffed a little.

"Shame it is. Elias went on a rampage when he found out Sofia had put that on his birth certificate. He tried to change it to something else but he couldn't. Sofia chose both her kids' names. I feel sorry for both of them. Thomas is cute and all but it's not for him. Poor pup." Kolby rolled his eyes.

"Yeah. I guess it's better than Theo. When I was in primary school people used to call me chipmunk because of Theo from that film. But then again fuck being called Ej. I'd fume at my parent if they called me that." I laughed a little.