Chapter Thirty-Five: Crime Scene Photos and Hotch's Career.

We had tracked a few more leads to lead us to a security guard at some record company in Mount Vernon. We all headed down there, and caught him with his latest victim. We got him and got back on the jet, heading home. I laid my head on Spencer's shoulder, trying to think about anything but what kept plaguing my mind.

        "You two all right?" Morgan asked. "Reid. Marianne." We both looked up at him.

        "Hmm?" I asked, sitting up.

        "I said, are you alright."

        "We're fine. Thanks for broadcasting it." Spencer snapped.

        "Hey, talk to me. Whatever either of you say to me in confidence stays between us, you two know that right?"

        "I don't have anything to tell you." Morgan looked at me. 

        "Nope." I lied.

        "Listen to me, both of you. What you two went through out there, no one expects you to rebound-"

        "I can still do my job, ok? I'm not gonna freak out." I looked at him, tears welling up in my eyes. I covered my hands with my face.

        "You think I don't know that? Marianne?" I shook my head, wiping my eyes.

        "It's the crime scene photos." Spencer said.

        "Crime scene photos?" 

        "The dead girls in the leaves."

        'Reid we've seen worse." 

        "I know." His voice came out in a whisper. I looked up at him."I know we've seen worse, but...For the first time...I know. I look at them, and...I look at them and I know what they were thinking and I know what they were feeling like right before." I grabbed Spencer's hand, and he looked at me.

        "That's called empathy." We both looked back at Morgan. "And it's a good thing."

        'It's not. It's got me all messed up, I don't know how to focus. I can't do my job as well." I nodded, understanding. Quite literally. "So what do I do?"

        "You use it." I told him. 

        "She's right. Let it make you a better profiler...a better person."

        "A better person." Spencer repeated. I laid my head on his shoulder.

~~~WEEKS LATER~~~

~~~Hotch~~~

        "The future of the BAU is not in the balance here. The residual impact as a result of the investigations into the crimes and criminals you pursue is. Every cause has it's effect."

        "You think I don't know that?" I asked.

        "I believe you are no longer effective in your post."

        "The modern furniture, the strategically placed magazines, the framed diploma, the art on the wall, are all in conflict with your family photos. You have three children, but you favor the middle one, your son."

        'What do you think your doing-"

        'Of course you love all your children but not like your son."I told her.

        "That's enough."

        'The bonsai, you obsessively nurture is to compensate for feelings of failure as a mother."

        'Agent Hotcher! I said that is enough! My position is not in question here. As your superior, I am questioning your ability to lead your team."

        'My team? Let me tell you about my team. Agent Morgan fought to protect his identity from the very people that could save him. Why? Because trust has to be earned, and there are very few people he truly trusts. Reid's intellect is a shield which protects him from his emotions, and at the moment his shield is under repair. Prentiss over compensates because she doesn't yet feel like a part of the team, she needn't worry. Everyday Agent Jureau fields dozens of requests for our team. and every night she goes home hoping she's made the right choices. Garcia fills her office with figurines and color to remind herself to smile as the horror fills her screens. Agent Gideon, in many ways, is cursed by his profound knowledge of others, which is why he shares so little of himself, but pours his heart into every case we handle. And Agent Harper dresses old fashioned to remind herself that there was a time when the world wasn't all bad, and she constantly goes around wondering if she's strong enough for this job. She tries her best to be sweet and is, in every way, like Robin Williams once said 'I think the saddest people always try their hardest to make people happy. Because they know what it's like to feel absolutely worthless, and they don't want anybody to feel like that.' I stand by my actions, and I stand by my team,and if you think that you think that you can find a better person for the job, good luck."

        "Agent Hotcher."

        'How do I know you favor your son? I'm good at my job."

~~~Marianne~~~        

        I stood outside the office door. Prentiss had been called in. They didn't know I was there.

        'I put you in the BAU. I knew how badly you wanted it. Everyone did. You were never exactly shy about letting us know. But there were those who didn't think assigning you to the BAU was a good idea. They thought you were too reckless. I believed in you, however. It's time to pay back the faith I had." I gasped, grabbing my phone and hitting the sound record. "Your team is in trouble. THey've lost sight of the big picture. I believe they are reckless, and at times, out of control. It's time for Agent Hotchner's career to come to an end. And if you want to stay in the BAU, Agent Prentiss, You're going to help me make that happen." I covered my mouth with my hand.

Crap.