Chapter 2

Both of Hayden's parents were surfers, and had even encouraged her to become one herself. It was the family hobby, even though Justin mostly played football. Their parents supported him too though. Hayden once used to play a lot of volleyball, but she put that away when she meat Phoenix and the gang. Surfing become her top priority and it still was to that day. It was mostly just for fun, but she also liked to compete when she had the opportunity. There hadn't been any yet that summer though, so she didn't have to stress about practicing, but she did so anyway. Surfing kept her mind away from other things. The kind of things that she didn't want to be thinking about. People that she didn't want to be thinking about.

Hayden didn't have many friends more. She was nice enough to people and they were nice to her, but she mainly stuck to herself. Hanging out with her brother and the football team was something that she used to do now and then, but mostly for the food and less for their company. She felt her stomach grumbling at the thought of food at Pat's pizza, and she found herself really looking forward to it. She had agreed to meet them there at 5 o clock, so she had a lot of time to surf before then. Luckily she wasn't one of those girls who needed several hours to get ready. All she needed was time to shower and put on a descent outfit. Hayden shook her head and left her thoughts wandering in her head. Why dwell on that when she could ride one of those great waves that she spotted out there. Her stupid thinking had made her forget about the wave that she was going for.

A couple drops of saltwater made there way passed Hayden's lips, and entered her mouth. She wrinkled her face at the unpleasant surprise and spit it out. She was used to the salty taste of the Pacific ocean after years of spending most of her time in it, but it still tasted like shit. That was her opinion anyway. Hayden turned her board and paddled, but her lack of concentration at that point made her lose the wave. "Shit" she muttered as she smashed the palm of her hand on the water. She huffed and laid her head on her shortboard for a while, closing her eyes. She imagined herself being a different person. Surfing was her life, but what if she never had discovered that. She could have been one of those other girls; those who spend their free time shopping or tanning on the beach. She could have been surrounded by friends, gone partying every Friday night, and been hungover every Saturday. Pizza would have been replaced by the famous sushi, which she despised by the way.

Instead of working out she'd just watch what she ate instead. Count calories and all that. She realized that not all girls were like that, and it wasn't her job to judge those who were. Maybe she was the one who should be judged. Her lifestyle might seem right to her, but in the end surfing didn't cure cancer, it did not stop war, and neither did it give food to those in need. Surfing was a hobby, a hobby that some people was absolutely everything. People like her. And if you were one of a few, surfing could also be a profession. Hayden wasn't meant to be a city girl, she belonged in the water- with her surfboard.

Time went by unusually quick as Hayden relaxed on her board. She flooded closer and closer to the golden beach, which had gotten more popular since she went into the water. Colorful parasols and towel embellished the ground. There were people reading, listening to music, playing on there phones, and building sandcastles all over. There was even an old lady who must have been at least eighty years old, helping a boy who Hayden assumed was her grandson build a sanddragoon. The atmosphere seemed to be quite good, if you looked away from the couple yelling there lunges out at each other. They probably weren't much older than herself actually, maybe a year or to. Hayden was seventeen herself, so she guessed that they were around eighteen-nineteen.

"Oh my God!" Hayden stared with big eyes at the couple who had caught her attention. The boy had shoved there girl a teeny tiny bit, and she responded with slapping the guy hard in the face. Since she didn't know what they were fighting about, it was hard to decide whom of them she should be routing for. The guy was wafting around with his hands trying to explain something to the girl, but she did not want to listen. She turned her back on him and walked away with her head held high. The boy was left standing there by himself as several others were looking at him. There little fight had been loud enough to catch quite a lot of peoples attention. They all turned their eyes away after a while though, probably realizing that it was none of their business. Hayden did the same.