Chapter 36

"You were my lesson Phee"

Hayden stared deep into his eyes as she spoke, doing her best to keep a straight face.

"What?"

His grip on her shoulders loosened slightly as he didn't seem to understand what she was saying.

"They say that every person you come across in your life is either a blessing or a lesson. You are my lesson Phoenix"

She almost wished she hadn't said it when she saw the hurt look on his face, but she needed to get it all out in order to move on.

"You've taught me never to get involved with nor trust a guy like you. To listen to the people warning me about you, telling me to stay away"

She no longer minded the tears streaming down her face, because this time she wanted him to know just how much he'd hurt her.

"Well, I guess it really is true"

"Guess that what's true?"

This time it was Hayden's turn to furrow her brows in confusion.

"That the people you love the most are the ones who hurt you the most"

Hayden let out a soft cry, her lips shaking furiously along with the rest of her body. She shook herself out of Phoenix grip and walked away from him as fast as she could. She could see Vienna giving her a sad look, but as much as she wanted to speak with her, she wanted to get away from there even more.

She walked over to where the second heat was now taking place, and looked around to see if she could spot Cheryl. Eventually she spotted a blonde girl not that far away from where she was stood.

"Cheery, is that you?" she asked when only a couple of feet away from her.

The girl looked up at her, and just from looking at the way her eyes lit up, Hayden knew that it was Cheryl.

"Hayden! Congratulations on your heat, you did amazing!"

Cheryl stood up and embraced Hayden in her hundredth hug of the day, or at least so if felt like.

"Thanks Cheery"

"Well sit down, there's a lot of stuff going on out there"

"Oh, right"

Hayden sat down next to Cheryl, looking out to see if she could spot Sasha.

"She's the one in the pink shirt all the way at the left" Cheryl explained, unsuccessfully trying to point in the right direction.

The surfers were so far out that Hayden had to squint in order to see them.

"How much time is there left?" Hayden asked, pulling a wet stray of hair away from her face.

"Not much, only two minutes or so i think"

Hayden nodded in response, not wanting to disturb Cheryl as she looked so caught up in the contest.

"Sasha's in second place. There are some really incredible girls out there Hayden, and I know how good Sasha is, but honestly- I'm getting really worried"

Hayden looked down only to see that Cheryl had her hands balled up into fists, so tight that her knuckles had gone red.

"Whoa Cheryl, anxious much?" Hayden asked, looking worriedly over at her friend.

"What?"

Cheryl followed Hayden's eyes to her hands, and suddenly realised what Hayden was talking about.