Piano Breakfast

(Authors note: This foster home is completely fictional, made up off the top of my head to fit the story better. The legal aspects of the story will be researched upon to make it as realistic as possible. Thank you for reading.)

I wake up to the soft sound of music playing. The song is dreamy and soft. I sit up. The bag I brought with me is sitting at my feet. I reach over and grab it. I pull my wheelchair closer to the couch and try to get myself into it. It starts rolling back as I try to hold myself up.

"You should have locked the wheels before doing that." Someone says.

I look up. It's Kaden. I frown at him. I get into my chair and put my bag into my lap. Kaden pushes me to the bathroom.

"I'm assuming this is where you wanted to go?" He asks

I nod.  I pull out my toothbrush and travel sized toothpaste from the bag in my lap. Kaden leaves the bathroom and closes the door behind him. I reach up to the sink and find the faucet. I can't reach it in this damn chair. I haul myself up on my one good foot. The chair bumps the door as I didn't lock the wheels. Using my skinny hips to hold myself up on the sink, I manage to brush my teeth. I also manage to use the restroom once I put all my belongings away. My casted leg starts to slide around on the tile floor as I try to reach the chair.

I panic and let out a choked groan. I've suddenly lost the ability to speak proper words. Kaden rushes into the bathroom and grabs me before I slip.

"God, you are so clumsy." He says putting me into my chair.

I frown at him.

"You look well rested today. Ready to meet everyone?" Kaden asks pushing my chair into the living room.

I shrug.

Svetlana stands up from the couch she slept on.

"Kaden. You are not allowed to push her around. You already know that." Svetlana growls.

I've never seen a scarier looking woman in my life. Svetlanas brows pull together and her lips form a thin, tight line.

"She almost killed herself getting to the bathroom and you were sleeping! She didn't reject my offer." Kaden says backing away from me

I nod at Svetlana who was now glaring daggers at me.

"She doesn't have a voice to reject your offer." Svetlana says

"No, but she can nod or shake her head."

"Don't disrespect her boundaries, Kaden. You are pushing your luck."

I sit watching them stare at each other until I hear footsteps in a new part of the house. I wheel myself away from them and find Joanna. She's humming along to the soft piano music that's still playing and cooking what looks like breakfast.

I clear my throat to get her attention.

"Oh! Dear me! Faith! You gave me quite a spook. Is everything okay?" Joanna asks me.

I nod and point to the hallway I just came from.

"Kaden and Svetlana? Are they arguing?" Joanna asks

I nod again.

"It happens. They used to date. It didn't end very well between them."

I nod again and wheel myself further into the kitchen. I spot two tables pushed together to form one long table. There is silverware and plates laid out on it, ready for people to start eating.

"Do you like it?" Joanna asks

I nod.

"We have a lot of kids, so we eat together in here. We had one spot open for you here too. There's also a cafeteria for lunchtime and dinner, we try to eat  breakfast together on Friday's and we eat dinner together the rest of the week."

I nod and wheel myself into a corner to stay out of Joanna's way.

"Did you sleep well? I'll have some of the girls get your room ready for you later."

I nod and watch her move around the stove, flipping pancakes.

"I know this is a lot of social interaction for you, but would you prefer to sleep alone or have a few roommates? We have a couple spots open on the second floor, but I don't know how you'll get up and down those stairs by yourself." Joanna says

I would prefer to sleep with a few other people. I don't like being alone. How do I tell her that? As Joanna cooks a large amount of food, I practice sounding out the word 'roommates'.Just as I'm about to tell her, she pushes a button on the wall and shouts in her sweet voice, "Breakfast!"

There's a sound like thunder coming from inside the house. I tense up as I see a bunch of boys and girls flood into the kitchen area.

"Okay kids, find your seats, grab a plate, and come get it!" Joanna says

Kaden and Svetlana come into the kitchen last.

"Wonderful! Svetlana, You must stay for breakfast this time. The children miss you so much." Joanna says as she hands out food.

Svetlana and Kaden start to help her.

"I'm only staying until Faith gets settled into her new room. then I'm off for another job." Svetlana says

"Oh.." says Joanna.

Suddenly Joanna looks at me, hiding in my corner. None of the other kids can see my face, but I can hear them whispering about my cast. I lean back into my chair and wait to be told what to do. Once the last of the kids have sat in their seats, Joanna comes over.

"Do you want to sit in your chair for breakfast or at the table?" Joanna asks softly patting my head.

I point to the table. Might as well get used to it. This is where I'll be spending the next several months.

"Okay. Come on then." Joanna says walking towards the table.

I pull my hood up to cover my face a bit and I wheel myself out of the corner and towards the table. The cast on my wrist makes to hard to move, but I manage. I stop next to Joanna and wait for her to position my wheelchair next to the table chair and lock my wheels. I haul myself up and into the chair.

"Children. We have a new member with us today. Her name is Faith Shires. I want you all to be nice to her and treat her kindly. She is just like all of you, she will be here until she is adopted or aged out of the home." Joanna says placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Faith, if you would remove your hood, please. I would hate for it to get dirty. You may put it back on after you have finished eating breakfast." Joanna says

I groan internally. I reach up and pull my hood off my head. There's a collection of gasps throughout the table when I do. I know what they're seeing, it's what I try to avoid seeing in the mirror every day. The bruises on my face and neck. The ones under and around my eyes from the nose surgery. The split lip and the stitches holding my skin together at my eyebrow. I bite my tongue a bit to keep the tears in.

"Be nice." Joanna says "Now let's enjoy this lovely food!"