New Phones (part two)

I manage to get myself out of the van this time. We've just pulled up to a store that sells the latest cellphone. Melissa waits for me excitedly to get a good hold on my crutches. I have my backpack with the money on my back. I can feel the weight of the envelope inside it. I walk into the store and allow Melissa to lead the group to the section with the newest phones.

Melissa and Afsana start talking about the new styles of phone and which one is going to be the best to take pictures and storage space. I look at the name of it.

'iPhone 7' I look down at the phone. There's an option for a solid black phone. I use my crutch as a support so I can pick the phone up off the stand and look at it. It fits really well in my hand, it's sleek, and it's in my price range.

"Good choice. That's the newest model." Says a male voice.

I tense up and nod. I put the phone down and relax as I realize that I know this voice and that it's too familiar for me to forget. I turn to look at the man behind the voice.

Dakota.

There he is. Standing in front of me, a big smile on his face. My hand flies to my open mouth.

"Hi, Faith." He says

I let out a small and choked sob.

"K- K..." I try to say his name, but it won't come out and my throat still hurts.

"Shh. It's okay. It's me." He says

I drop my crutches and reach up for a hug. He picks me up and holds me tight. We stay like this for a moment until Melissa comes running over calling my name.

"Faith?! Fai- Oh.... uhhh.." She trails

Dakota sets me back on the ground, but doesn't remove his hand from my waist.

"Are these your friends?" Dakota asks

I nod.

"Hi. I'm Dakota. A friend of Faith's. What's your name?" Dakota asks Melissa

"Melissa. Are you guys dating?" Melissa blurts

I shake my head. He's so much older then I am.

"No, haha. She's a little young to be dating right now, and I'm too old for her." Dakota says

"You should go out together. Are you ready Faith? Did you find a phone you like?" Melissa asks

I nod and point to the black phone I was looking at before Dakota surprised me.

"Oooo. That's a nice one. It's too expensive for me and plus, I'm more of a Samsung type of girl." She explains.

She calls over store worker and picks up my crutches. She hands them back to me.

"You want the black one? Melissa asks

I nod. The worker opens the case underneath the display and pulls out the box for the phone I picked.

"Black, right?" He asks

"Yes, please." Melissa says

"Follow me, I'll help you check out." He says

Dakota lets me go, but still stays close to me.

"You're in crutches. That's new. When did this happen?" He asks me

"She just got them today. The cast on her arm came off." Mckenzie says

"Nice! Good for you. How's the arm feeling?" he asks.

We stop in front of a register and I take a seat. I give him a thumbs up and wiggle my fingers on my right arm. Dakota smiles and ruffles my hair.