First Dinner

Zak carries me to the room across the hall. He knocks on the door and waits for a moment until it opens. Dakota opens the door wider for us to come in. Zak sits me at the large counter closest to the end. He brings an extra, lower chair from the living area to prop up my casted leg.

"Okay, everyone's here?" Zak says sitting across from me.

There's a small mumble of agreements. I can tell that they are all tired from the day. It has been long and tiring. Zak and Aaron start handing around plates and utensils for everyone. I get mine before anyone else.

"Okay, we have fettuccini alfredo, steak, regular spaghetti with sauce on the side, baked and mashed potatoes, and desert in the freezer. We also have chicken. I wanted to get lamb but..." Says Dakota

They all look at me.

"No. They were out of lamb." Dakota says bringing the attention back to himself.

Dakota winks at me once everyone turns back to the food. Zak asks me what I want. I point to the alfredo. It's pasta. How bad can it be? Zak scoops a little portion of the alfredo onto my plate and holds out the sides for me. I point to the mashed potatoes. Another small portion of food is put onto my plate. I look at everyone else's plate. They all have heaping portions of food as well as full glasses of carbonated drinks. I look to my measly portion of food. I sigh. They're gonna make fun of me.

"Eat up, kiddo." Zak says.

I grip the fork unsteadily in my left hand. Shakily, I attempt to swirl the noodles onto the fork. As soon as I lift it off the plate, the noodles start slipping. Reacting faster than ever, I stuff the fork into my mouth, slurping all the noodles into my mouth.

They're going to think you're a pig. Clean yourself up.

I quickly use my napkin to clean my mouth. I manage to finish all my noodles, chicken included, and half the potatoes.

Zak looks at me. For a moment, I think he's going to yell at me for not finishing my dinner. That's something He would do to me. I shake that thought out of my head.

"All done?" Zak asks

I nod shyly. Zak takes my plate and scrapes the rest of the potatoes onto his own plate. He gets up and grabs the bag of pills on the coffee table.

"You need to take this one after you eat. It'll help prevent an infection in your immune system." he says handing me a yellow pill.

I take it and push it into my mouth, under my tongue. I take a gulp of water and wait to feel the pill slide down my throat. I make a face at the after taste in the back of my throat.

"I know. It's gross but you need them." He says handing me another, smaller pill.

I swallow all the pills he hands me, one by one, making faces after every single one of them.

Once all the pills have been swallowed, Zak carries me back to my room. He places me in a chair.

"You can wait in here for a bit. I'm gonna finish dinner and work out a sleeping arrangement for you." he says taking all the cushions off the couch.

He stops suddenly like he forgot something.

"You don't mind sleeping on the couch do you?" he asks

I shake my head. I don't want to be locked in a room by myself just yet. I'm not ready to face my fears.

"Okay, cool. If you wanna go back to the bedroom, just let me know. I think it has a TV so you can watch, but for now you can sleep in here." Zak says

I nod.

Zak reaches behind the couch and pulls on a loop I didn't notice before. The couch suddenly unfolds into a large bed. Zak shoves the coffee table with his foot. The table moves just enough for the bed to unfold completely. He replaces the cushions on the back rest and turns to me.

"Ta- da!" He says softly.

I don't know what to do so I clap gently. He chuckles and helps me up out of the chair. He carries me to the bed and untucks the covers. The places the thicker blanket he bought me on the top.

"I'm gonna grab you a better pillow. I'll be right back." he says running off.

I hear shuffling in another room as I attempt to get comfy in the bed. Zak comes back a minute later with his arms full of pillows. He tosses them onto the bed and starts fluffing them up for me. He tucks two under my casted leg, two behind my back, and one on either side of my body. Then he covers me up with the blankets and turns on the TV for me.

"Comfy?" He asks

I shuffle around to lean back further and then I nod.

"Good. Before I go, would you rather me or Dakota stay with you in the hotel tonight? I would offer Ashley but she's spending the night with Jay." Zak says.

I hold up two fingers.

"Two? What does that mean?" Zak asks

I point to him and then I point to the door.

"OH! Dakota! Duhh." He says

I slap my hand onto my forehead. I would like them both to stay with me tonight. I point to Zak again, then to the door, then I hold up to fingers and make a cutting motion, like scissors.

"OHHHHH! Both of us?" He asks

I nod my head. Finally.

"Got it. We'll both stay here then. After dinner, but you need sleep so try to get some before we come back okay?" Zak says

I nod and shuffle down further. Zak turns towards the door and dims the lights a bit.

"Goodnight." I hear him say before the door opens and closes.

I shift into a more comfortable position and slowly drift into a peaceful sleep.