Chapter 10: Trains

It was a whole week after the sleepover and Shuichi was still trying to adapt to not having Kokichi in his bed. Even though it was only for like 3 days, it still made him get used to her warm presence in his bed, as creepy as that sounds, which Shuichi has acknowledged how creepy and obsessed he sounded. Eh, maybe in another life he was weird and creepy in that way, but he didn't feel like diving into the ideas of alternate universes. One weekend he woke up the sound of his phone ringing and he let out a groan. It was Saturday and he felt like sleeping in the whole day -- considering the fact that he got all of his school work done.

Why the hell was his alarm even turned on, he never set it to be going off at 10 am. It's too early to be waking up even though others can argue otherwise like Kaito would wake up at 8 am of all times even on a weekend to do his daily jog and eat breakfast at 9 am, like what kind of sleep did you get to have that type of schedule. Shuichi certainly doesn't understand that feeling of euphoria, waking up nice and fresh, instead his bedroom has recently turned cold every morning, causing the emo to burry more deeper into the covers.

He was wondering when his alarm was going to stop ringing and after 5 minutes, it stopped ringing, making Shuichi let out a sigh and relax. But of course, once his eyes were going to shut, the phone erupted into his ringtone once again and it would certainly be upset when they hear someone's voice singing "House of Memories". Shuichi let out a tired groan as he wrapped the blanket around him like a cocoon and rolled off the bed, causing his weight to drop his phone beside him. He then noticed that it was in fact not his alarm, but Kokichi calling him.

Now what the hell was this angel calling him at this ungodly hour. Was Kokichi's schedule basically a carbon copy of Kaito's or something? Because no sane person would wake up earlier than 10 am. Then again she probably wasn't a night owl like Shuichi, staying up until 4 am with his thoughts certainly made him wander into dangerous territory that lead to him needing to use his bathroom more than usual to do stuff.

Shuichi sighed as he clicked the call button and he heard the sound of Nagito's voice on the other line. "Hello, this is Shuichi speaking." said Shuichi. "Ah, Saihara-kun. It's nice to see that you are awake at this hour." said Nagito, obviously oblivious of the fact that Shuichi was on the floor as of now in a cocoon of his blanket. "Yeah, so why are you calling me on Kokichi's phone?" asked Shuichi and Nagito said "Ah, well that's because I don't have your phone number, but she does.""So, what is it that you need?" asked Shuichi. "Well we received the test scores from the exams." said Nagito and Shuichi instantly shot up and went to drag his blanket, Linus style, over to his bed to set it there while he sat on the cushioning mattress. "What about those exams? Did something go wrong?" asked Shuichi. "Oh! No of course nothing went wrong." said Nagito. "I just wanted to inform you that Kokichi has passed and she just got the top marks for her grade!" cheered Nagito, and Shucihi heard the albino's husband let out a very enthusiastic 'woo!' in the background.

"Mom... Dad.... What are you doing?" asked a sleepy voice in the background which Shuichi suspected was Kokichi, with his suspicions confirmed when Nagito apologized to Kokichi for waking her up. Ah, so she may also be a night owl as well. "Nothing sweetie, I'm just on a call with your tutor." said Nagito, and damn the saying that words can break you just as easily as sticks and stones really applied to Shuichi. Because the fact that Nagito called Shuichi, Kokichi's tutor, it was like he made a truth bullet out of that and repeatedly shot it as Shuichi's ego, damaging it to no repair.

Shuichi sputtered a little bit and Nagito's attention was instantly drawn back to Shuichi. "A-are you okay Shuichi?" asked Nagito in a worried tone and Kokichi asked "W-what happened?""Nothing, my stomach just started acting up." assured Shuichi. "Ah, okay." said Nagito. "Anyways, we wanted to invite you to dinner with us. Do you perhaps want to come with us as a thank you for helping Kokichi out for her exams?" offered Nagito and it was obvious that Kokichi didn't see this coming too. "W-wait we were going to have a celebration?" asked Kokichi and Hajime proudly said "Of course we will! You got top marks!" Nagito giggled and said "As you can see my husband is extremely proud of my darling.""Mom!" complained Kokichi, but it was obvious that it was out of embarrassment, since it was confirmed by Nagito's giggle.