Some things just aren't meant to be

2600+ Words

Darryl POV

I shut my eyes tight as I watched Zak get electrocuted and cut with a knife. Over and over again. His screams echoed in the small chamber before me. I tried to block out the noise, but it seemed next to impossible.

They briefly stopped to try to pry the info from him. "Just tell us and we'll stop." They promised.

"In your dreams." Zak gritted his teeth.

The leader was about to call back to the person manning the electricity machine to tell them to turn it on again when they must have gotten an idea.

"Well we can't kill you otherwise there wouldn't be any way to get the info we need…" He pondered.

Despite his tough act I could tell Zak was scared and he was breaking. Who knew how much longer he could hold out for?

The leader grinned wildly. "Take him out. And bring the other boy in. Let's see how well he holds out when he sees the boy he loves get hurt."

It took me a second to process before I realized he meant me. My blood ran cold. Zak seemed to realize too. His voice rose in anxiety.

"Oh? It seems we've found your weakness. Bring him in." The leader cackled.

I was yanked to my feet and shoved down the hall. I heard shouts of protest down the hall that I recognized as Zak. When I passed him I smiled reassuringly. It will be okay. I will be okay. I mouthed. Zak seemed to relax a bit.

My promises for being okay seemed to disappear after entering the chamber. I shook violently as I was shoved down into a chair and tied up. One man hooked a machine up to me and another grabbed a knife.

Then they turned the electricity on and my mind retreated to it's safe place.

Zak POV

One man turned the dial and turned it up. I screamed and everything seemed to happen in slow motion. I wasn’t the only one who screamed. Darryl did too. But his was much louder. I watched as his face contorted in pain and his hair stood on end from the waves of electricity coursing through his veins. I knew what it was like and Darryl didn’t deserve this.

“LET HIM GO! PLEASE! HE DID NOTHING WRONG! IT'S ME YOU WANT NOT HIM! PLEASE LEAVE HIM ALONE! TAKE ME INSTEAD!” I screamed desperately. I screamed and pounded on the glass, shouting empty threats and hateful insults. But each time they would just cut deeper and turn up the voltage. So I stopped. I curled in a ball, shivering and sobbing. Helplessness crept over me and I wished I could just die. Then this wouldn’t continue to happen.

This went on for hours. Every time I looked at Darryl he seemed in a worse condition than before. They continued until Darryl passed out and a little bit after that. But they seemed to think it was less fun without his screams.

Psychos. Absolute fucking Psychos.

They threw me and Darryl into our cell. A small room with concrete walls and floor. It had only one bed and toilet and a single thin blanket.

I was worried he was dead, so I pressed my ear against his chest. Thankfully his heartbeat was still there. Even if it was somewhat faint.

I scooped up Darryl and brought him over to the bed. I set him down then laid in bed next to him. I placed a kiss on his forehead and buried my head in his shoulder.

I awoke the next morning and Darryl was still not awake. So I waited. A day passed, then two. Then finally on the third day his eyes opened very faintly. I had spent most of the passing time either sitting or lying in bed with him so I knew immediately.