CHAPTER 12

The taxi pulled up to my apartment complex and I grabbed my bags and went inside. My apartment was relatively nice, a little small but met the needs of a single guy. With the money I was now making, I contemplated looking for a new nicer apartment, but it didn't make sense being on the road as often as I was.

My neighborhood was rather peaceful in comparison to the hustle and bustle of most of Los Angeles. Many families made it their home, due to the good schools and cheaper cost of living. The neighborhood had been close to my old job and many of my friends, so it definitely served its purpose.

My two and a half week break would serve me well after two full months on the road, and I was excited to get to visit with a few of my friends and sleep in my own bed. Instead of going out to bars, I offered to have most of my friends over. If I was not going to be hitting on women, it didn't make much sense to sit in a loud bar.

Two of my best buds came over almost every night the first week, but the second week both got busy with work. Ever since my night in Houston, I had sporadically texted Jake the Snake for small talk, just to try and build a connection with someone else at The Agency. I found out that he had returned to LA from his most recent assignment, so I invited him to hang out near the end of my second week off.

Jake was the type of guy that just elicited coolness. The way he talked and the way carried himself just put off a confident cool vibe. Jake and I sat around watching football and knocking back a few beers. We talked some about work. It was fun to be able to share some of the sexy experiences I had and to hear about some of the wild romps he had. Much of the rest of the night we talked about things outside of work (our past: family, school life, work, etc.).

I learned that Jake had been a former college football player, which explained his chiseled body, but his dreams of playing professionally got cut short by a knee injury. He was working at a car dealership before Claire had recruited him to The Agency.

The football games ended and Jake finished up his beer before heading home for the night. He had a shorter break than I did and was going to be back on the road the next day. I was glad to have met Jake and formed a friendship, even if it had occurred under unfortunate circumstances.

I began to clean up the trash and empty bottles that were scattered on the coffee table. It had been a good night, but it was about time to turn in for the evening. As I tossed the final two beer bottles in the trash can, I heard a knock on the door.

"Jake must have left something," I said to myself as I glanced over the living room looking for something that had been left behind. I hadn't noticed anything, but went ahead and opened the door.

"Hey, man you forget some-," I stopped surprised to not find Jake at the door. Standing at the door was a beautiful blonde that I knew far too well, Taylor Swift.

"You expecting someone else?" she laughed inviting herself into my apartment.

"Umm, well...," I stammered, "I certainly wasn't expecting to see you. Would you care to have a seat? I can get you a drink if you'd like?"

"That sounds lovely," Taylor said as she sat down on the couch.

I made my way to the kitchen and poured two glasses of the only wine I had in the apartment. I was very caught off guard by Taylor showing up at my apartment, but was slightly excited to get to see her again.

I looked at Taylor as I got the glasses ready and was taken aback by how good she looked. It was rare that I had seen Taylor all fixed up, because she had mostly taken a shower right when she got back from her concerts. She was wearing a black leather trench coat which was tied mid-waist. The black leather paired well with her bright blonde locks that rested on the shoulders of the trench coat.