Chapter Eight

A tall boy with two katanas strapped to his back leaned on the table. He wore a casual hoodie and sweats, which was a bit underwhelming compared to his level of hostility. 

He spit on the empty plate in front of me. Zach was about to get up, but I put a hand on his shoulder. I crossed my arms, waiting for the punk to start talking.

"Are you gonna spit at me and not say anything? Speak up if you don't want to die."

Heads all around the assembly hall were turned in our direction. Fritz was getting fidgety, and Zach pierced this guy's head with a sharp glare. I flipped my plate into his chest and stood up.

"You have thirty seconds before I crush your skull into this table."

He grabbed me by the collar of my shirt and spoke in a low voice.

"You sick bastard..."

The amusing development spread a smile across my face, and I whispered in his ear.

"Is there anything this 'sick bastard' can help you with?"

The boy pushed me away from him and gave me a dirty look. Zach caught me from behind. I balanced myself and fixed my crumpled shirt.

"If that's all you wanted to say, you should leave. I'm only warning you that right now is not the best time to be picking a fight with me. I've already dealt with one too many idiots today. There was a pathetic girl that ran away with her tail between her legs after I-"

He tightened his fist. Hmmm? I'm guessing he knows scarf girl. I was about to continue pressing his buttons when the bell rang. The students shuffled out of the room and made their way back to class. I threw my hands up into the air.

"Awww...play time's over? Well I guess I'll see you around, friend. What's your name?"

The boy flipped me off and stormed away. I turned to Fritz. He looked completely horrified. On the other hand, Zach looked like he was going to rip the punk's finger off, shove it down his throat, and proceed to beat him to a pulp.

"It's not a big deal. The guy was just a blockhead."

We walked over to class under the protection of my special ability. I kept an eye out for scarf girl and the punk the entire way there. The three of us entered the classroom and returned to our seats in the back. I plopped down in my chair. I'm tired. I just want to go sleep in my room. 

Nightmare walked into the classroom. She stood at the front and continued with where we left off in the lesson. I spent more time struggling to keep my eyes open than paying attention. The last two hours of school were inching closer, which were reserved for physical training. Everyone started getting more squirmish as the minute hand approached the twelve at the top.

When the time came, Nightmare led us to the training grounds. Everyone was given a chance to change in the locker rooms before it started. We lined up along a blank wall. In the distance, I saw another class marching over to us. It must be class 1B. I guess we're training together. 

They lined up in front of us. I noticed some of their faces held malicious intent. Not knowing what was ahead of us, I just assumed they were angry about being in the lower class. 

Nightmare and their teacher led us into a dirt arena with ten cement blocks, resembling poorly made forts. The walls holding up the audience seats were at least thirty feet high. It was relatively plain other than that. Nightmare clapped twice and gathered the attention of both classes.

"For physical training today, we'd like to see what you've got. It's mandatory that everyone participates. This is a one versus all kind of fight, meaning your classmates aren't necessarily your allies. The only rule is that you don't kill each other. You'll have two hours to fight. Any questions?"

No one raised their hand. Nightmare scanned the students before retreating to the safe place high in the stands. A sharp whistle echoed in the arena, starting the fight.

Most of the students engaged in a massive brawl at the center. I pulled Fritz and Zach into one of the forts off to the side. With the chaos going on outside, not many would notice a few students running away. I whispered loud enough for the two of them to hear.

"Everyone's focused on the center fight, but we should wait until things quiet down before we go out. That way there are less opponents for us to take on."

Fritz twiddled his thumbs.

"But what if someone finds us here?"

"If that's the case, then-"

At that moment, the punk from lunch stumbled into our fort. I created a lightning sword in my hand and grinned.

"As I was saying, anyone that comes in won't be shown any mercy."