Chapter Twelve

Everyday for the next ten years was non-stop torture. The experiments on me mostly involved my eyes. There were times when I couldn't open my eyes from the brutal treatment. The cold meals were always plain oatmeal and beans. It was the same thing. Over and over again. I thought I was going to die, but I continued practicing my special ability in secret. I needed to see Nora again. Her warm smile was the only thing that kept me going.

One day, I decided to execute the plan for my escape. The security guard unlocked my cell to bring me to the room where they performed their experiments. I pushed the guard over and stole his gun, shooting him in both legs. I used telekinesis to open all the cells in my block and pushed my way past the rushing security guards. The group of prisoners rioted, drawing attention away from myself and making it easier to slip away. I ran down the halls and used telekinesis to open the locked doors. It wasn't long until I found myself outside. Protesters marched in circles at the front gates. A familiar voice spoke on a megaphone.

"We will not rest until you release the people!"

I sprinted over to the voice and warped the gate's bars to let myself through. It really was Nora. She was much more mature than the four-year-old I remembered. I called out her name.

"Nora!"

She looked in my direction and pushed her way through the crowd. I pulled her into a desperate embrace. The wonderful moment was ruined when the guards came charging at the group. I covered my head with my shirt and tried pulling Nora away from the screaming, but she stood her ground.

"Once I destroy this place, I'll take you somewhere nice."

She shot a red lightning bolt at an approaching guard. I joined in the fight, using my telekinesis to throw rocks at the enemies. Other protesters used their abilities to help us. We were easily winning the battle.

The ground shook violently. I grabbed onto Nora and brought her close to me. Both sides stopped to look at the group of heroes that arrived in a massive vehicle. They started their assault on the protesters as soon as they set foot on the ground. Innocent people were losing their lives left and right. I punched the ground, sending a shock wave towards the latest arrivals.

I turned around to check on Nora, but she was laying on the ground. I quickly realized my shock wave attacked from all sides and ran over to her.

"Are you okay!?"

Nora coughed some blood into the palm of her hand and smiled.

"I guess I can't keep my promise after all. I'm sorry Kenzo..."

"Nora? Nora! Wake up! Please!"

A knot formed in my throat. I could barely breathe. As Nora closed her eyes, I screamed out into the sky at the top of my lungs.

I lifted Nora up from the ground and gave her one final kiss. The taste of iron coated my tongue. Soon, a red spark came from my finger tip. I bent over and whispered into her ear.

"Sorry for taking your power without permission, but this way...we can be together...forever."

***

"Nora!"

I screamed out her name as I sat up in bed. Fritz and Zach were both startled by my sudden outburst. My usual self was replaced by the emotional mess I was from a year ago. Fritz put a hand on my shoulder.

"Are you alright?"

It's the same question Nora would ask me. I shook the thought out of my head and tried to collect myself. As their leader, I didn't want to show this weak side of myself.

"Yeah. It was just a nightmare."

"It wasn't 'just a nightmare'. You shouldn't keep everything inside. Kenzo, you can trust me."

"You're right..."

Fritz was a bit shocked by my sudden cooperation. Zach brought two chairs over to my bedside, and both of them sat down. They patiently waited for me to speak.

Once I opened my mouth, everything came tumbling out. I gave them my whole back story but left out the fact I had the power to take abilities. My face contorted as I recalled the horrible memories.

When I was finished, I looked up at the two of them. Of course Fritz was crying, but Zach was too. I thought he wasn't the type to cry about things like this. I joined in on their little cry-fest. Fritz gave me a tight hug, which made me cry harder. It had been a long time since I felt something like this. The genuine warmth and kindness of another human being.

"Thank you guys for listening."

Zach pulled a tissue from his pocket and blew his nose.

"No need to thank us. That's what friends are for, ya know?"

Author's Note:Hi readers! Thank you for reading this far

Author's Note:
Hi readers! Thank you for reading this far. How are you liking it? What do you think about the characters? Don't go anywhere! There's so much more to the story. (Honestly, I can't wait to write it, but I can never find the time lol) Anyways, take care and thank you for reading! Bye for now~

🖤 writers_cubby 🖤