Chapter Three

The Charmer pointed at one of the doors lining the assembly hall.

"That is the first year dormitory. The door will take you directly to the building you'll be staying in with teleportation magic. I hope you all will work hard during the next four years. I'll see you around."

My group filed in through the narrow door. We arrived in the new dorm and were currently in the lounge. There were several couches and tables. Hallways branched from the room we were in. The girl with blue hair skipped to the front of the group and cleared her throat.

"Hi everyone! My name is Harlow Whitlocke. I hope we all have a good time together as classmates."

Her kind attitude slowly faded when a boy with green, spiky hair and dark clothes spat at her.

"Who cares what your name is? Did you walk into the wrong school on accident? Is the girly lost or-"

A blue blur weaved through the group and stopped right in front of the boy in a split second. Her eyes were dead serious, locking onto her potential target.

"Do you wanna experience what those poor things in the examination went through? Or do you wanna be civilized?"

A dagger was grazing the skin on his throat.

"Look, I was just joking around. The name's Zach Trevino. Can you put the knife away now?"

Harlow lowered her weapon and smiled.

"I'm glad we can get along now, Zach."

Her smile sent chills down my spine. Harlow led the way through the dorm as we located the different rooms. The group dwindled down as others went inside their rooms, which were decided by the school.

I stopped at the door with my name card and opened it. The bed was pushed into the corner and dressed with warm-looking blankets. Next to it, a desk faced the window, holding textbooks and an alarm clock. An open closet contained the clothes and shoes I had sent to the school before the entrance exam and stood beside an empty bookshelf.

I took off my shoes and jumped onto the bed.

Harlow...it seems like her special ability is related to speed. Her toned body makes me think she uses her physical strength in combat, which explains the dagger. But I wonder what everyone else's abilities are.

I sighed and covered my eyes with my crossed arms. It had been a long day. The entrance exam wasn't difficult intelligence-wise, but it did take a toll on my mind. The animals I "killed" weren't a big deal. It was the final test. I didn't hesitate to stab my best friend. If I hadn't known that she was dead, I don't think I would've had the willpower to kill her.

I shook my head, attempting to get rid of the horrible memories. But it was no use. Silent tears started streaming down the sides of my face.

"Just go to sleep and forget about it."

I kept whispering those words to myself until I drifted off into a deep, dreamless sleep.

***

My alarm clock startled me awake. I turned off the noise and shuffled over to the closet. After picking what I would wear for the day, I left my room and searched for the showers since I forgot to last night. The early morning hallways were deserted. I wandered around until I found the door I was looking for. I read the sign posted on the front.

"Men's showers
No harassing others.
Only undress in the shower stalls.
- Dysnomia Academy"

As I was opening the door, I heard someone approaching from behind. I turned to see who it was. A head of flattened green hair dragged his feet over to where I was. He held a hand over his mouth to cover a yawn.

"What're you doing here at the crack of dawn?"

"I could ask you the same question, Zach."

He scratched the back of his head.

"Good point..."

We both walked into the shower room. The showers were similar to bathroom stalls except the walls went from the floor to the ceiling, and the doors didn't have a large crack that someone could peek through. I opened a stall, revealing a variety of soaps and a wall-mounted shower head.

I ran the water and hopped in when it was the perfect temperature. Zach knocked on the wall from his side.

"What's your name?"

"Kenzo."

"So Kenzo, don't you think that Harlow girl's crazy?"

"Not at all. It's a villain academy. What'd you expect?"

Zach fell quiet, and I continued washing myself. I hung my head under the water, letting the warmth caress my face. Through the sound of running water, I could hear him singing. His voice wasn't bad, but the song was an innocent, lovey-dovey mess. I quickly finished my shower and left the room, slamming the door behind me.

On the way back, a tiny growl came from my stomach.