VIII. A new challenge

this chapter begins with some thoughts, some feelings. But, stay with me, 'cause there will be a fight right away :))

hope you enjoy the story, u angels❤️

*

We hit the road after one hour.

After sitting in our spot. After sitting there without talking to each other. One hour, in which I calmed down and drank some of the water I had with me. And had a really unpleasant conversation with Sakura.

one hour earlier

Sakura was cleaning Sasuke's wounds with a cloth and Naruto was cleaning my hair with water he took from the river. My hair was soaked in blood, the blood from my wrist. The bleeding had stopped, but the wounds would still hurt as fuck. I needed to clean them and I was waiting for Naruto to wet my hair before I went to the river myself, to wash the wounds. They were deeper than everyone else's. And that scared me.

How desperate could I have been...?

I rose my eyes, to watch Kakashi. He was cleaning his own cuts on his arms and he was breathing gently. He wasn't calm - I totally knew it. He must've seen something terrifying... And the fact that he looked so broken, yet still, so calm, made my mind flip! I felt pain invading my chest, but that pain was made of love - which scared me - and I didn't know what to do to help that moment so...

I just watched him. His eyes were sad. He had his headband and his gloves on. He seemed to be trying to recover, but he wasn't trying so hard. Probably he didn't even care if he looked awful in front of us - we all have been through our worst nightmares.

"Are you all better?" Kakashi asked, his voice a little bit more positive.

We looked at him. My lips formed a small smile.

"Yes!" Sasuke said first. "It doesn't hurt anymore. I'm good."

"Me too!" Sakura offered him a great smile. "It was just a Genjutsu, after all..."

I puffed. Sakura was the sanest from us all...

"I'm all right - believe it!" Naruto nodded towards Kakashi, pulling my hair a little. "Ah, sorry!"

I didn't answer Kakashi. He stared at me, waiting. I didn't want to answer. It was true that I was feeling better - not scared anymore, at least. I realized that it has all been just an illusion. But... I wasn't completely fine: I was still shocked by what I... realized. I couldn't speak normally to him. I knew that if I just looked into his eyes, I would remember that feeling I had when I thought he was dead and I would totally freak out.

"Orinai."

My heart fluttered. I forced myself to look at him. Don't panic.

"Yes. I'm good."