Chapter 54

Gradually, I turn my head to the entrance of the restaurant, my sights falling upon a girl around my age, expensive fabrics falling over her shoulders and golden jewelry locked around her neck with wrists and beaded necklaces laying gently upon her collar bones.

Her head turns, a twisted strand of her black hair landing over her shoulder as her warm eyes land upon me.

"Lady Akari! Is that you?!"

................

It had been awhile

It had been awhile. The feeling of what I'd think a million gazes felt like, all placed upon me. Perhaps I had begun to forget what that has felt like.

When I was a child. I once felt as if gazes, whether it be of admiration, adoration, hate, jealousy, whatever of the sort...I felt as if they had the power to dig holes and lesions into my body, my chest, my head.

Soon, the holes created craters.

And then, I never felt them again, an experience one with a status like myself must endure.

Is it torture? Perhaps not anymore.

Nostalgic is what I'd say...

I stare at her silently, beats in my body neither quickening nor slowing as her presence isn't ignored by myself or just about anyone in the middle-class restaurant, one of the last places the daughter of a noble should be.

The only good that has come out of my spark, the popularity I'd derived from childhood—

Was that It no longer digs holes, and it doesn't phase me.

It's silent as people who long for their entertainment or drama await my answer, my voice riveting the place.

"What has given it away?"

My arms slowly gather as I cross them, asking her a question that I seemingly use most times.

Her overly bright and cheery smile lessens as she turns her head, looking to the audience she had created by essentially, merely showing up.