Chapter 30

Slowly, I move my head around, my gloved palm clasping around the rough texture of the brown bark.

With precise movements, I begin to throw myself up the tall meters of the tree.

"We're retrieving their scroll." I bluntly state without question.

Although when I rise up, I feel an unknown pull yank me into the ground.

...............

I open my mouth to say something but even I cannot do that as I feel a weight laid atop me

I open my mouth to say something but even I cannot do that as I feel a weight laid atop me. My own teammate, holding me down behind a bush, a hand clasped where my mouth should be. My eyes catch the other two do the exact same as I watch the three sets of feet that I could have once caught through my widened eyes.

As the unfamiliar feet shuffle and move as they speak to each other, I grasp the wrist that holds my mouth shut, only for our bait to run. And run very far away.

As soon as they are gone, they rest out of sight, but they do not rest out of mind as the hand and weight against me loosen and i immediately shove my arms up, slapping his hand away.

"Now what do you think you are doing?!" I breathily say, my chest heaving as I attempt to catch the breath I had lost. He pauses, almost attempting to gather his thoughts at my sudden accusatory question, leaving not only him but Choji and Ino to widen their eyes as well.

Although his grace had tilde me he was taken aback, he recovers seemingly quickly, "What do you mean 'what were you doing?' You were trying to get us killed" he says, not to the degree that I did, but his monotonous voice perhaps makes it worse, almost as if I were to know better.

I furrow my brows together as my heel digs into the ground. "I'm trying to get us a scroll." I spew out.

Slowly, he gathers his hands into his pockets, eyebrows lifted, "Oh so you'll just jump into any fight and risk everyone?" He retorts.

What he accuses me of, it leaves me offended as I step closer to him, finally moving the thousand-pound weights that are my legs. "Risk everyone?...what drivel are you spewing Shikamaru, I would not do that!"

His once careless attitude at words changes immensely as his back straightens, "We're all in this exam and everyone's dangerous, you said it yourself, the stakes are high. You can't just jump to fight a whole squad without telling us! We need a plan and—" he pauses whatever kind of rant this is, lifting his averted gaze to stare at me.

"We would've lost and you know that."

"I told you to trust me. Tell me, were you lying then." My sights move from side to side as I attempt to pick apart his face, confused as to why he acts this way, bewildered by his words, and when he shows no signs of banter, I am left with my lips parted open.