Chapter 42

The woman steps within my line of vision, handing me a small brown bag, neatly folded at the top with a small sticker enclosing it.

I do not hesitate to take it, reading the sticker out of pure curiosity.

She gives me a bright smile, "I wish you luck on finding a good adoptive family! Konoha is home to many great people, Lady Akari!"

"Pardon?"

................

A warm ray of light shines to meet my eyes signaling me to wake up

A warm ray of light shines to meet my eyes signaling me to wake up. When my eyes part I rub them a bit with the tips of my fingers. I lean over from my bed and push open the curtain that separates my bed from my room. Sun beams through the walls, it must be a couple hours before the afternoon.

I fall back on my bed and rest my forearm on my eyes, the sleep my body scrounged for wasn't too bad, but I'd like to rest whilst I still have the chance. A long breath passes through my nose before my tranquil mood is interrupted with the slight sound of...my doorbell ringing?

The room I use is a long distance from the door but It wasn't too hard to hear, now, with my deaf ear, it's a bit harder. The ringing is still present, but I can't expect it to heal in a day like all the other times.

I get up out of the bed and peak outside to make sure someone is there, Asuma?

My eyes squint a bit and I tilt my head to the side. It's reasonable for him to be here, I went straight home after my checkup. I quickly move from my window and go to the vanity wall I have in my room to grab my mask. The glass porcelain reflects my image back to me. I glance up at the mirror, I have wraps practically everywhere.

It's notably strange, usually these burn marks heal a bit quicker. I turn around and look down at the small table in the center of my room and spot the bag that the nurse had given me after my visit. I reluctantly grab it and pull out rolls of medical wraps and painkillers.

I had other minor injuries but I'd rather treat them myself the have someone else do it for me. I hold the wraps in one hand and the painkillers in the other. The doorbell rings again and I throw the wraps bag in the bag. I don't really need those. I pop open the painkillers and grab a random amount to start chewing.

I throw my mask on and pace myself down the stairs scrunching my face up, this medicine is disgusting. I shake off the taste and make it to the door. And there's Asuma, looking away from the door with a cigarette in his mouth. I guess I did take awhile.

"Uhm. Hello." I announce awkwardly to his back to get his attention. "Ah Akari! You took awhile, feeling alright?" He asks as he turns around. "Fine. Big house and all." I reply staring at the ground. A momentary silence last a couple seconds before I break the ice again. "What did you need." I say looking up for the first time.

"Well I did come over here to check up on you. I heard that not all of your injury's were treated." He explains. He looks behind me through my door. "...can I come in" he asks. My attention jolts back up, "Oh right! Yes come in." I say as I open the door and he walks in.