Chapter 29

My face begins to harden underneath the light of night as my hand falters.

However—is the moon going to bring me the same comfort that the warmth of hands, or auras—that the warmth of large brown eyes that stare with no animosity no matter my words of venom?

I clench my palm that holds the round white pill.

Well, I do not know.

"We both win."

My fist opens as I toss the pill into my parted lips.

...............

My eyes sting each time I blink

My eyes sting each time I blink. My nose itches just slightly, and my throat stings when I swallow.

The only thing that has subsided, is my temperature. The rising heat within my forehead that I hadn't even noticed much. And I know the reasons for this as well.

I didn't know what to feel as I had opened my ears, the gates of my conscience allowing myself to listen for a few seconds, and listen to a man like no other and follow his instructions. I hadn't known whether I had listened simply because I needed these exams—

Or for other reasons.

I want to talk to him. The rising feeling in my chest that forms each time I remember the accusatory words I had spewed, or the fatigued I had placed on that man further clogging my neck.

I would, only if I could. For he had left my home the second I left my room in the morning.

Left my room—to come to this. The second round of these exams as the gathering of passing contestants stand just outside wired gates separating us—and a large forest.

I rub the center of my neck just slightly, the fabric of my gloves and the movements soothing it as my own sealing cause a bit of irritation as well.

However, nothing is as unpleasant as the charades that occur in this forest. From the obnoxious contestants belittling our very brash proctor who had once flown in from a window just a day earlier, to strange ones with vexatious auras and alluring movements. At this point, my squad seems fairly orderly.

The Forest of Death. That is what she calls it.

With my already disheartened look on my face, I remain listening to her, her stance wide and confident as she speaks.

"Now before we begin this test I have something to hand out to you all. It's just a standard consent form. Before the test, all of you are going to have to read over this form, and then sign it." She instructs, a handy stack of paper appearing before her hands. And despite her overly...enthusiastic attitude, my jaw clenches at her words. It is not as if I am frightened, perhaps it was just unexpected.

"What for?" A bothersome contestant questions from the group.

Of course, if it was not for wanting the deaths of children off their backs, then I am intrigued as well. Our proctor, Anko, simply shrugs at that. "Some of you may not come back from this test, and I have to get your consent to that risk. Otherwise, it would be my responsibility."