Chapter 25

With a small quirk of her black brows, she swiftly sits up farther in small confusion after the noise.

"Goodbye, Akari."

Her lips part just slightly, head siding at the unexpected actions. "Ga-"

And with that, her words are cut off, and her small body lies alone once more.

...............

I was left alone that night, the only company by my side being the sway of the harsh sands reminding of tides to an ocean, and the small remnants of his aura

His aura, it is something that I find hard to forget, in a way—I despise it. The icky filling, the drowning sensation crawling through my shins until it swallows me whole, whether that be sadness, fear, anger. I have had trouble learning what is strongest. But in truth, I only despise it because it is my own.

The faltering winds and the small rustles of leaves fill my ears as I step blindly through the empty lands of sand, the overly warm air in contrast to the cold one that unfortunate night has proven to me as the sun does not exactly react fondly to my otherwise cold skin.

I do not care for it as my newfound strength from my lonesome night in darkness, my sight gone whether from the wraps around my irritated eyelids or the tightly locked room, for at least my physic abilities remain intact, even in my weakest of times.

The stench of a newfound aura sways into my nose, guiding me to where I need to be, the aura blanketing me in a dreary emotion, none like how they did when I first met them.

Slowly, my knee hits the soft sand as I wrap my palm tightly around the large wrist of the fallen man, I turn once more, doing the same to the second as I proceed to walk back to the forest. Fortunate that their bodies were neither taken more noticed by Suna, and how short my journey in the sand may be as it takes minutes to reach the forest once more.

There were three—three obnoxious, horrifying men in the sights of a young girl like me. Or, would be horrifying if I was not used to these things.

Well, I do not think I'd ever get used to them.

After already spending my time taking the first man up, I merely drag the last two through the forest, my steps coordinated and graceful as if I was not wearing a homemade blindfold, my frail wrist and short fingers just barely long enough to garner the strength of pulling two. Now, with my bare palm around their wrist, I can feel the long and thin hairs on their forearms, the scars from previous fights, and the protruding veins that once pulsated with life.

For the first time, I allow myself to breathe harshly, the three carcasses lay side by side upon the twigs and sticks, a bed of leaves fell around them as well.

Even without the fabric around my eyes, I know what they appear to be. Their skin would be pale, and white, their hair would be thin, and the smell—well, I can smell it just fine, and it is not very pleasant.