7. What Did I Agree To?

*** Joyce's POV ***

Quinn Matthews was unlocking my safeguards like a pro-gamer moving through levels. My body reacted instantly to his suggestion, but what I couldn't decipher was whether I was stressed out or aroused by his bold request. Maybe a little of both.

He grinned and I swear my heart was going to beat out of my chest. He was about to say something when there was a knock at my door. I instantly went into a cold sweat. I wasn't expecting anyone.

Quinn must have noticed the abrupt change in my demeanor. "Joyce? Everything okay?"

"Someone's at my door. No one is supposed to be here." I told him.

"Do you have a peephole or a window that you can look out and see who it is? Maybe a delivery person got lost." Quinn suggested. I gripped my phone in my hand, on the ready to dial the authorities if need be. I'm frozen in place.

The knock sounded again and I literally yelped and jumped. I could feel my body involuntarily shaking.

I didn't know how long Quinn had been trying to get my attention, but I finally turned my eyes to the screen. He looked concerned, sitting on the edge of his couch. It looked like he was putting on shoes. "Where do you live, Joyce? I'll come over. I'm on my way."

Another knock, but this time a familar, yet still unwelcome voice sounded through the door. I groaned and dropped my voice. "It's my co-worker, Neil. Give me a second."

I stood up and walked to the door, undoing the deadbolt and the other two locks. I partially opened the door. Neil looked happy to see me, his face melting into a broad smile of relief. "Neil, what are you doing here?"

He held up a cloth grocery bag. "I told you I'd bring some soup by. How are you feeling?"

"Oh, you know how these bugs are. Here one minute, gone the next." I fibbed.

"You look...invigorated." He remarked.

"Oh, uh...I was just watching a racy movie." I tried to think fast.

Neil's eyes became hooded as he smirked. "If you're feeling up to it, mind if I join you? Since I'm here."

I gave him a polite smile. "Actually, I'm watching it with a friend already."

He looked casually past me like he was looking for evidence of another person. I pulled the door a little tighter to me. His eyes returned to mine and I could see the wheels turning. "Thanks for stopping by with soup. I'm glad I don't need it, but I feel bad that you drove over here."

"Yeah, right. How about we try again for tomorrow night? You owe me, afterall for missing out on lunch." He insisted.

"Um, I unfortunately have plans." I lied.

"Sunday brunch! Come on, Joyce. I know you love brunch." He pleaded with me.

He wasn't going to take no for an answer and at least brunch was out, during the day. I could give him brunch. "Okay, fine."

His jaw dropped and he reactively reached out and squeezed my arm. I yelped and withdrew from him quickly. He stared at me in shock. "I'm so sorry. I thought...I was just so excited."

"It's not your fault." I muttered. "Um, text me where and when to meet you Sunday."

I went to close the door, but he caught it. "Mind if I pick you up?"