Chapter Seventeen

John’s fingers shook slightly as he grasped the paper. He cleared his throat and stared out onto the large crowd of people.

Most didn’t like Sherlock, but everyone he’s crossed paths with would certainly never forget him.

“Thank you all for coming,” John said.

“A friend once said to me that Sherlock is a great man. He also said that he’d never be a good one.”

“I’m here to tell you exactly why he was the best man. Why he was not only great but good.”

“Sherlock had his eccentric ways. He sometimes came off emotionless, heartless, to the point where everyone called him a psychopath.”

“But let me tell you about this one case…”

As John told the crowd about the case, there was a shadow behind him.

The shadow was trying hard to stay silent. His eyes were glassy.

“…He risked his life for this little girl, and I swear I saw him cry when he saw the condition she was in. If you can call that amazing man a psychopath, then I’m sorry. I’m sorry that you cannot recognize greatness when you see it.”

“I used to wonder for months, why he did what he did. Standing in front of you all, I now know exactly why.”

“He may have been a total bastard to everyone. He completely disregarded manners. However, when it really came down to it, he is better and greater than any other person on earth.”

As John wrapped up the speech, the shadow bit his lip and felt a small tear trickle down his cheek.

“John,” he said softly. Softly enough so no one would hear him. “I promise. I’ll come back.”

A/N: Okay, so I know I said this update would be longer. So sorry. :( I've been busy with a million projects.