Chapter 2

Standing in front of me was the best looking guy I've ever seen in real life. He was wearing a dark suit with a white shirt underneath, the first button undone slightly. His blue eyes were so deep that I could tell they were blue from the other side of the room. His dark hair had been short, not distracting from his beautiful face. His features were soft, but his jawline was strong and his shoulders were wide. He was beautiful, and the best part was that he seemed like he had no clue. For some reason that made his so much more beautiful. 

I hadn't realized that I'd been staring until he looked at me. Reflexively, my eyes dropped, as if I hadn't been looking. I felt my cheeks heat up, and I cursed myself for not wearing thicker foundation. I always blushed easily, which gave me away every time. He was just so...beautiful. 

Embarrassed, I turned around to look for my mom or Megan. 

The last guy I dated was an absolute asshole. He was one of those guys who pretended to be a "good guy," but was actually a misogynistic prick. After we broke up, I realized that I'm much better off single, and felt like I should stay that way for a while.

No more guys, I reminded myself as I turned around. No more guys

I will forever be the kind of girl that cries at weddings. As the bride walked down the aisle in her beautiful white gown, I cried. The dress was simple, with long sleeves and a long skirt. I haven't met her yet, but there was something interesting about her. She seemed... magnetic. The kind of person who would take up space and never apologize for it. 

The ceremony was beautiful, and afterwards the bride walked down the aisle. This was when we were supposed to congratulate her. 

My mom and I came up to her and joined the crowd of women around her. After waiting for several people to finish their congratulations, it was our turn.

"Mazel tov," my mom said. "We're Joseph's family from Virginia," she added, realizing that the bride didn't know who we were. "This is my daughter," she said pointing to me."

I stretched out my hand and plastered a smile on my face. I've been always told that I have a nice smile. "Rebecca," I introduced myself. "Mazel tov. It was a beautiful ceremony."

"Oh, hi!" she said, as if she had known me for years and I am her long-lost friend. "Thank you so much for coming."

"Thank you for having us!" I exclaimed, my excitement matching hers. She seemed like an incredible person. I would have liked to get to know her.

Her new husband called her down the aisle to meet him there and she walked towards him, all excited.

I was glad that Joseph found a girl like her. He has always been so reserved. She would be good for him. 

I followed the crowd downstairs where the tables have been already set up with towers of food. Sushi covered the tables, along with some Georgian cultural meals, some of which I have never even heard of. They deserts lined the wall across the room. It was a long table, five or six yards wide, with enough dessert to feed a small army. 

The room itself had a few circular tables, each with a large centerpiece. The centerpieces were clear vases with bright flowers filling them and small candles hanging down them from strings. There was space in the center for dancing and a DJ in one corner of the room. 

I found a seat next to Megan and a woman I did not know.

Putting a few pieces of sushi on my plate I began eating. I strongly believed that sushi is the best thing since sliced bread. The music was too loud for conversation, so we just ate. 

I leaned over and asked Megan, "Where are the bride and groom?" realizing that they were nowhere to be found.

"According to Jewish tradition," she explained, "the newlyweds go to a private room after the ceremony."

I raised my eyebrows to give her a look.

"No, not like that," she laughed. Megan knew a lot more than I did about all of these traditions. Her family was a lot more religious than mine, so I didn't really know much about these things.

After a while of eating, people started pouring into the dance floor. I had always loved to dance, but I wasn't exactly sure if my style of dancing would fit in here. My friends and I danced by swaying our hips and jumping to the music. Given that this was a synagogue, I wasn't sure that that would have been a good idea. 

I began following Megan's movements, which were more similar to Georgian dancing techniques. She danced mostly with her hands, snaking her arms in the air. It was a beautiful form of dance. 

While dancing, I noticed that the boy from earlier had sat at a table cross the room. He wasn't talking to anyone. Probably an introvert, then.

He was staring at me.

My heart skipped a beat as a looked away once again. I didn't look to see if he was still staring as I kept dancing. 

No more guys, I repeated to myself.

After a bit of dancing, I realized that I had drank too much water and made my way towards the bathroom. 

Walking out I bumped into a woman I saw my other cousin, Samuel, talking to. She was obviously not Georgian, with her sharp features and blonde hair. My best guess is that she was Russian. 

"Do I know you from somewhere?" she asked. 

"I don't think so," I said with a welcoming smile on my face. I've become good at faking smiles. "We're from Virginia."

"Oh, you are Joseph's relatives from Virginia!" 

"Yeah!" I exclaimed, as if the fact that she heard of us made us best friends, keeping my warm smile.

"Well, sorry for bombarding you in the bathroom," she said. 

"It's alright. Mazel tov."

"Mazel tov," she replied. 

I was still processing the conversation when I walked out of the bathroom and made my way through the thin corridor. Something had felt off about her. I just couldn't explain what it was. 

Suddenly, I felt my face collide with another body. 

I stumbled back, embarrassed and began to apologize. As I looked up, I realized who I had just ran into. 

It was him.