Chapter 17

Two years. I haven't seen this face for almost two years. That face was still gorgeous. 

"Hi," I said after a substantial amount of awkward staring. 

"Hi," he replied.

He grabbed my bag and made our way towards his car. It was a black Honda, which had a few scratches and dents all over it." 

"Sorry that it's nothing big," he said, noticing my staring at the car. "I'm trying to save money for my med-school tuition and with the wedding and all..."

"You don't have to apologize. The car is cute," I said. 

He put my bags in the trunk and opened the door for me to get in. 

"So, Megan asked me to take you to her apartment to drop off your bags and then we can get lunch together," he offered as we started driving. He sounded so nonchalant, as if I was not the person he cheated on his now-fiancé with. That's probably for the best, though.

"Sure, I'm down."

We didn't say much during the car ride, which made me extremely thankful for the music. 

"Oh, shit," he said.

"What is it?"

"It's starting to snow."

I looked out the window and noticed that there were snowflakes slowly falling to the ground and some were sticking to the windshield. 

"It' going to be pretty big," I said, checking the weather on my phone. 

"Yeah, we should just wait it out in my apartment. It's closer," he offered. 

"Okay, sure," I agreed. 

I mean, I guess it didn't really matter whether we were in his apartment or Megan's, right? Just as long as both of us kept it in our pants. Besides, it's been two years. Everything between us is ancient history.

Except the butterflies in your stomach, a voice inside my head argued. 

Stupid fucking butterflies. 

Whatever, there was really nothing else we could do. 

Liam drove a few blocks and parked the car on the street. He ran into the building and I followed as he opened the door to his apartment. 

The apartment was small and had a rustic vibe, enforced by the brick walls and chimney, which had been turned into a bookshelf. There was a small kitchen and a breakfast table next to the kitchen. A couch sat in the middle of the room and had a coffee table in front of it. 

"Nice place," I noted. 

"Thanks. Want some tea?" he asked. 

"Yes, please." I was really cold. 

I sat down on the couch and got an overwhelming feeling of nostalgia.

History, I reminded myself. Ancient history.

He came back a few minutes later and gave me a steaming cup of tea. He placed his on the coffee table and I followed. 

"It's been a while," he said, sitting down on the other side of the couch.

"Yeah, it has," I agreed, memories seeping in. 

"What have you been up to?" he asked. 

"Not much. Just college and stuff. What about you?"

"Still in med-school," he said. 

"Must be tough with the wedding coming up."

"It is, but Megan did most of the planning."

"Are you excited?" I asked, needing to know if he was really in love with her. Two years ago he was ready to leave her.

"Yeah," he said, looking down.