Chapter 5

I'm scared. 

It's been a few weeks now, texting every few days. Got to play hard to get right?

He still does not suspect that I'm... well... legally underage. Or if he does, he does not let it on. 

Maybe this all will end before he finds out. Well that's pessimistic. 

I told my best friend. Her name is Beth, and we've been best friends for almost a decade now. She's the one that pulls me into stupid shit and we have to call her older sister to get us out. I knew she wouldn't disapprove of whatever I have going on with Liam. 

"So what do I do?" I asked, hoping for some advice. 

"I don't know, girl. This is tough."

"We could ask Laura," I suggested. Laura is Beth's older sister, and like a sister to me. 

"She would go crazy," she said. She was right. Laura would probably kill me and tell me to just tell him the truth. Laura was very practical and driven--the business type, if you will. 

Beth and I both sighed. When it comes to romantic relationships, it's like dating us both. We FaceTime every time the smallest thing happens and fill each other in right away. At some point we started referring to ourselves in plural form. For example if one of us likes someone, we say "we like him." You get the point. We have a very much codependent relationship. We don't mind, though. 

I stayed the night at Beth's place. It was late anyways and her parents were out of town, so like the wild party-animals we were when we were free of parents, we stayed up and watched Princess Diaries. The second one, of course. 

I woke up to a call from Megan. 

"Maya!" she screeched. 

"What?" I asked, my voice sleepy and raspy.

"I got a date."

That suddenly woke me up. "With whom?" I asked, excited. 

"His name is Liam, he's a med-school student..." 

Her voice faded in my head. 

Shit. 

What do I say? If I tell her about me and him, she will bring up the looming fact that he is much older than me. I have to be supportive.

"How did that happen?"

"Ah, well the whole arranged marriage thing. Really starting to work out in my favor."

"Well, tell me how it goes. When's the date again?"

"Friday. Ah, I'm so excited!" 

"I bet," I said. 

Damn it. 

On the bright side, if he marries her, I won't have to tell him about my age. Silver lining, right?

I mean, he would find out eventually, but what is he going to do? Break up with me?

I didn't get any texts from him for the rest of the week.