Chapter 7

"Hey," I replied. "How have you been?"

This feels weird. 

He's dating Megan, he's dating Megan, he's dating Megan.

They went on another date, apparently. In the Georgian Jewish world, they were almost engaged. 

"I've been good. How are you?"

"Good," I say. "Are you here with Megan?" I ask, mostly to remind myself that he's with her. 

Maya, forget him. He's just a guy. 

"Yep. Rented an apartment across from hers."

"Cool!" I said, a little too enthusiastically. Shit. 

"So, do you know a good place to get some breakfast?" he asked.

"Yeah, there's this cute café around the block." I love that place. My mom and I go there every time we come here. 

"Would you like to join me?"

No, Maya, no. Say no. 

"I'd love to."

Shit. 

The café was adorable. It had bookshelves lining the walls and wooden, worn out chairs. The food was great too, especially their breakfast selection. 

I ordered a stack of pancakes with chocolate syrup and Liam got a blueberry muffin with some coffee. 

"So," I said awkwardly, "how's med school?"

"School is good, how about you?"

"Alright." Technically not a lie. I'm in school...just in high school. 

We continued to talk. It was awkward, but kind of nice at the same time. 

We finished, and he paid. I insisted I pay for at least my portion of the meal, but he argued. At some point it was rude to say no.

We went outside and started wandering around the city.

"Shit," he said. I followed his gaze up and realized that we were under a huge gray cloud.

"Maybe it will die down," I offered. 

Today is already one heck of a day. 

Liam opened his phone. "Yep. It's supposed to rain for the next hour."

"You know how Florida rain is," I said. "It storms like crazy and then dies down fast."

"My apartment isn't far away. We can go there."

No, Maya, no. 

Bad idea. Very bad idea. 

Just say no.

To be fair... it's raining pretty hard. Besides, his place isn't far from Megan's, right?

"Sure, let's go to your place."