Chapter 17

"A Talk"

            We were back in the truck on our way home. After he had pulled away from the kiss we were silent. I couldn’t seem to think of a single thing to say. After a few minutes Jason suggested that we go home. I don’t know if he felt as awkward as I did but it looked like it. I had no clue why he did it or why I responded the way I did.

            The ride back home was even more awkward. I still couldn’t think of a thing to say and Jason was staring at me the whole time I drove to my house. When I pulled into my driveway I climbed out and walked around to the front of the truck. Jason did the same and then he just stared down at me.

            “What,” I asked as I looked down at my feet.

            “Nothing. I was just wondering if you were going to bring it up,” he said looking confused.

            “Bring what up,” I asked purposely trying to be stupid.

            “Don’t be dense,” he said with a frown.

            “Sorry. We can talk about it tomorrow. Tonight I’m just…confused,” I said as I rubbed my forehead.

            “Sure,” he said with a nod.

            I gave him a half smile before walking around him and going into my house. I walked into the living room and sat down on the couch with a sigh. A few minutes later I heard footsteps on the stairs.

            “How’d it go,” Luke said as he walked in and came over to me.

            “Weirdly,” I told him as I looked at the wall.

            “Why,” he asked.

            “Jason kissed me,” I told him still without looking up.

            “WHAT,” he exclaimed as he grabbed my arm.

            “You heard me,” I told him.

            “Did he say why he did it,” he asked.

            “No. We were silent after it happened.”

            “When are you gonna ask him,” he asked.

            “I guess we’ll talk tomorrow but I already know why he did it,” I said.

            “Yeah but he said that he would wait. I want to know what pushed him over the edge,” Luke said shaking his head.

            “I don’t know,” I said quietly.

            “Are you ok with it,” he asked.

            “I don’t know,” I said again.

            “Is that all you’re gonna say,” he asked with a small smile.