Chapter 24: To A Higher Position

Princess Zhenmin was an orphan, and the Empress Dowager took her in and treated her like a granddaughter. She's a bit ill-tempered from all the spoiling, but still their bond is strong. The Empress Dowager even falls ill from being heartbroken. The Emperor is a good son. He commands all the ladies to serve the Empress Dowager, and holds a funeral at the level of an actual princess to make the Empress Dowager more at peace. These acts make things harder for the women however. They have to serve the Empress Dowager and attend the funeral, on top of copy sutras.

Three days. You haven't been allowed to sleep, and you eyes are swollen from "crying" at the funeral. Now you are with Shu Xian, and still copy sutras in the Palace of Compassion and Tranquility. Shu Xian feels bad for your and brings out a few pieces of dessert.

Shu Xian: [Quietly] Here, but make sure no one sees you.

You gobble up the dessert and wipe your lips, but Noble Lady Ying just happens to see you.

Noble Lady Ying: How dare you! Eating while copy sutras!

Everyone is exhausted these days and almost had no time to eat. It's normal to sneak a few bites in whenever possible. The Stewardess won't say anything. The Queen and Noble Consort either. Noble Lady Ying amplifies it as a revenge. You don't want to involve Shu Xian, so you take the blame.

Xiu Ying: I understand the error of my ways, I shall ask for my punishment from the Queen.

Your nonchalant response makes Noble Lady Ying even madder.

Noble Lady Ying: Hold it! You, stay here and copy Ksitigarbha Sutra fifty times.

Who would have thought she's so persistent on making you copy sutras for her. Of course, it's mostly because she doesn't like you, especially since you know she tried to hurt you. You are a ticking bomb to her. Naturally she would do everything to get rid of you.

Xiu Ying: Noble Lady Ying, my punishment should be determined by the Queen and my mistress. Therefore I must go to the Queen first.

Noble Lady Ying: Such a bold servant. You won't listen to me?

Xiu Ying: Do you believe that you're more powerful than the Queen?

Noble Lady Ying wants to keep arguing, but a maid tugs her sleeve and she realizes all the ladies looking at her. She gets mad from shame, and start yelling.

Noble Lady Ying: What are you looking at? Never seen a lady punishing a servant?

Noble Consort has arrived. Just then, Noble Consort's voice comes from outside.

Noble Consort: Such insolence, Noble Lady Ying. I wouldn't even dare compare myself to the Queen, but what did you do just now?

Noble Lady Ying's face flushes with fear as the Noble Consort walks in. She stands to the side.

Noble Lady Ying: Greetings, Your Highness. The maid was eating while copying sutras. That's why I was scolding her. I dare not compare myself to the Queen.

Noble Consort: [Looks to you] Is this true?

Xiu Ying: I have finished copying sutras and had two pieces of dessert. I dare not disrespect the Empress Dowager and Princess Zhenmin. However, no matter what punishment I should receive, it is the Queen who has the power to decide, and it is her I should see.

Noble Lady Ying: She's just a good talker, don't be fooled!

Shu Xian speaks out for you.

Shu Xian: It's my fault. I saw that Xiu Ying hasn't had anything to eat all day, so I gave her the dessert.

Noble Lady Ying: Just a day without eating, and you want to leave with your crime? I think both of them should be punished!

Xiu Ying: The greatest mistake my mistress and I made was eating in the prayer hall. Perhaps we should have eaten before coming over like Noble Lady Ying did.

Noble Lady Ying: How dare you!

She tries to stop you from talking. She's panicking.

Noble Consort: The Queens is serving the Empress Dowager, and I'm busy with the funeral. The whole back palace is busy, and Noble Lady Ying sure had such a swell time.

The Noble Consort isn't really standing up for you, but she's had enough of Noble Lady Ying's attitude. Noble Lady Ying lowers her head and begs the Noble Consort.

Noble Consort: [Sighs] You sure make it sound sad. Now, which of you two is right?

Noble Lady Ying: Your Grace, remember that this is the maid who dared to hurt your dog!

You didn't expect Noble Lady Ying to bring that up. You get tense.

Noble Consort: [Realizes] Oh it's her!

As you are trying to make a comeback, the eunuch outside yells "here comes the Empress Dowager! Presenting the Queen!"

Queen: [Staring at Noble Lady Ying] Princess Zhenmin's death seems to have not at all saddened you, Noble Lady Ying

Queen: [Staring at Noble Lady Ying] Princess Zhenmin's death seems to have not at all saddened you, Noble Lady Ying. With the time spent picking on a maid, why don't you copy some sutras?

Noble Lady Ying: That's not true. I am deeply saddened by Princess Zhenmin's passing.

Queen: Oh, so you show sadness by living luxuriously and gluttony? No tears or sutras?

Noble Lady Ying didnt expect that the Queen was keeping an eye on her. She kneels to confess.

Queen: Such an arrogant and heartless creature. The back palace is no place for you! I doubt His Majesty would want to see you again. Take her away!

Noble Lady Ying's begging slowly fades into the distance. Noble Consort decides to leave this whole mess.

Empress Dowager: [Turn to you] This maid is nice. Bold and mannerly, just like my Zhenmin. Why don't you stay with me in the Palace of Compassion and Tranquility for a while?

You're not pleased at being compared to Princess Zhenmin. But you know this is an opportunity. It's not easy to take down the Crown Prince. You have to get higher up! But you really can't leave Shu Xian on her own. What do you do?

Shu Xian sees you as a sister and cares for you all the time. You really don't want to leave her. 
You kneel as you make up your mind.

Xiu Ying: Thank you, Empress Dowager. However, I cannot leave my mistress on her own. I should still serve her. Please forgive me.

Shu Xian: [Butts in] What are you saying? There are lots of people who can serve me in this palace. It's your honor to be able to serve the Empress Dowager.

Empress Dowager: You are both very good kids. I'm very grateful.

Queen: Xiu Ying, Shi Lian is like a sister to you. Why don't I arrange for her to serve Shu Xian. Would that be okay?

Xiu Ying: [Surprised] Thank you for being so generous, my Queen!