Chapter 117: The Emperor's Wisdom

The next day you return to the Hall of Mental Cultivation. Your mood is tranquil. After a night of reflection, you feel even more sure about your decision.

Hu Ling: [Warmly greeting you] County Lady! I don't know what you said to 6th Prince yesterday, but he's being much nicer to me today! Thank you!

Xiu Ying: I'm glad to hear it. Could you please announce me to the Emperor? He is waiting for me.

Hu Ling: [Giving you a warning look] The Empress is also inside.

Xiu Ying: Please go in and tell them I am here. I would like to pay my respects.

Smiling in response, Hu Ling steps into the Hall of Mental Cultivation and returns moments later.

Hu Ling: County Lady, the Emperor bids you enter.

Just as you are about the enter, Empress Rong walks out, holding the arm of one of her maids. She smile at you though the smile does not reach her eyes. You ignore her searching look, and bow deeply.

Queen Rong: Your dress is very plain today, County Lady. In a couple of days my niece will be arriving in the palace. She will be bringing some new pieces of jewelry with her. You should drop by and try them on. A young woman should always make an effort. Don't refuse me now!

Xiu Ying: How could I refuse such a generous invitation, Your Majesty?

The Empress nods at you and walks past. You don't turn to see her go, but walk directly into the Hall of Mental Cultivation.

The Emperor is sitting at his desk, reading a memorial. On hearing your greeting he looks up slowly and regards you for a moment.

Emperor: Are you ready?

Xiu Ying: Yes, I think so.

Emperor: Very well. Tell me, what is it you think I require?

Xiu Ying: Prince Jin is powerful and accomplished in war. It is only a matter of time before he seizes the throne. For the sake of the people, Your Majesty cannot want to see this type of man come to power in Western Liang. Therefore Your Majesty will want to prevent Prince Jin becoming king.

Emperor: And this is your answer?

Xiu Ying: That is Your Majesty's first objective.

Emperor: [Solemn, but showing increased interest] Oh?

Xiu Ying: Somewhere in the palace of the Western Liang there is a secret weapon codex. The political chaos will provide the perfect opportunity for us to acquire it. And that, You Majesty, is your second objective.

You finish speaking. Your face is composed. After your meeting yesterday, you kept wondering why the Emperor had given you a whole night to come up with an answer. Later you realized it was because you had asked to be sent to Western Liang on impulse. If you were to guess his true motive, you would need a good understanding of Western Liang history. Your realization led you to the Imperial Library where you read some histories of the Western Liang and learned about the hidden weapon codex. If this Emperor intended to send an agent to Western Liang, it would not be for a straightforward reason. That's why you gave him two reasons.

Emperor: It is one thing to have objectives, but it is another thing entirely to execute them. You are not twenty years of age yet. Do you know the risks involved?

Xiu Ying: I know it will be dangerous, but more importantly, I understand the importance of accomplishing the mission.

The Emperor looks at you sharply, as he did yesterday. After what feels like a long time you sense the pressure on you finally lift. You stop holding your breath. Looks like you guessed right.

Emperor: You shall go alone and conduct the mission in complete secrecy. Do not tell another soul. You will face untold dangers and difficulties. There's no turning back. Do you understand?

Many familiar figures float through your mind, things that happened in this and previous lives. They coalesce into a kind of force, propelling you forward.

Xiu Ying: [Speaking deliberately and with conviction] I won't turn back. I will not fail you.

Emperor: Excellent! Succeed and I will make you a Countess! You will live a life of ease!

Xiu Ying: Your Majesty, I am concerned for my family's welfare. Should I run into trouble, please watch over them. It would mean a lot to me.

Emperor: [Smiling] I promise you, your family will be safe whether you succeed or not.

The Emperor gives you a day to prepare before you leave for Western Liang, alone. There's no time for introspection. You go home and spend a few hours with your parents. You behave like everything is perfectly normal to avoid rousing their suspicions. In the afternoon you return to the palace. You decided to pay a visit to the Eastern Palace. Your face flushes when you see Yin Zhen, remembering the story you told the Emperor.

Yin Zhen: [Busy reading government documents, looks up suddenly] How long have you been standing there?!

Xiu Ying: Is this how you welcome guests? Shocking behavior.

Yin Zhen: Wouldn't you rather I treated you like family? Anyway, what do you want?

Xiu Ying: [Puzzled] Do I have to have a reason?

Yin Zhen: I guess not. Why is your face so red? You look shifty... Have you done something I need to know about?

The Last Meal

Evening. The sun is setting on the white marble staircase outside the Hall of Mental Cultivation.

Eunuch Hai: Your Majesty. The County Lady visited her parents, then went to see the 4th Prince. Besides that, she hasn't been to see anyone else.

Emperor: Maybe she really did enter the palace on 4th Prince's account... A simple, love-struck girl, after all. And the County Lady? Where is she now?

The Emperor is sampling some sweets when you arrive in the Hall of Mental Cultivation.

Xiu Ying: I'm leaving first thing tomorrow morning. Your Majesty. Is there anything else you want to tell me?

Emperor: Come, sit. Try some sweets from the Imperial Kitchen.

You take a seat and pick up a candied chestnut. Suddenly you have a strange thought.

Xiu Ying: (What if this is my last meal?)

It's your last thought before you lose consciousness.