Never Happened

Ben POV:

I walk along that road after school with Mike, my best friend, Elizabeth, Mike's girlfriend, and Kate, one of my classmates who only came because she was Elizabeth's best friend. On the right side of the road, there was a long circular gate. Inside the gate were multiple buildings, one of which looked like a dormitory. It looked like a really old place and on the front of the gate were these words.

St. Smithen's Science Academy for Boys and Girls.

"There are science academies?" Mike laughed.

"I can't believe there's an entire school dedicated to one subject," Elizabeth snicked. 

"Why does it look so old?" I asked.

"Maybe nobody liked it anymore and didn't upgrade it," Kate said. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a black shadow dash across the front of the campus. It was carrying something shiny and silver with a barrel. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought it was a gun.

"DID YOU SEE THAT?" Mike asked. "That person was carrying a gun!"

"There is something wrong about that school," Kate said. "Let's go home."  

"Yeah," Elizabeth agreed. We went home, but I couldn't stop thinking about that school. Was it a terrorist training school? An FBI bunker undercover? Naturally, I planned a way to figure it out. Tomorrow, I was going to sneak inside and figure out what was wrong with that school.

The next day, I bumped into Mike at lunch.

"What are you going to do after school today?" he asked. "You have the 'I'm going to do something very very stupid' face on."

"Nothing," I lied. 

"Nice try," he grinned. "You're going to try to infiltrate that school right?" Sometimes, I can swear that guy can read my mind.

"Fine," I said. 

"Also," he said, lowering his voice to a whisper, "I need to tell you a secret."

"What?" I asked, also lowering my voice.

"I heard Kate talking to Elizabeth after class," he whispered. "They were talking about crushes."

"So?"

"Kate said that she has a severe crush on you!" Mike whisper-yelled.

"Wait, what?"

"Yeah, I know, I was like 'WHAT'? I mean, you're the last person I'd expect a person to fall for, no offence."

"None taken," I said, fully agreeing with him. "Did she say why she liked me?"

"She said something about how you were really cute or something. I wasn't really paying attention after that."

"Ah," I said. 

"So what stupid thing are you going to do?" he questioned.

"I'm going to sneak inside that school and see what is wrong with it," I said.

"Oh," Mike said. "Count me in."

"Me me there at 5," I said. A few hours later, I pulled my bike up to the front gate, latching it to one of the bars. Mike ran up a few minutes later.

"Ready?" I asked, not waiting for an answer as I vaulted over the wall.

"Dude!" Mike said. "Is there springs in your legs?"

"This is the height I always jump," I informed him. He shook his head in disbelief and started climbing over the wall. Soon, he was over, and we quietly made our way up the stone path and towards the front door.

Surprisingly, it was unlocked. I pushed the door open and walked inside. It seemed very old, with rusty doors on the east and west sides of the entryway. We carefully walked inside, looking from left to right and back again. 

If I had been smart enough to look behind me, I would have noticed the shadow creeping up the wall behind me.