Never Happened 2

Ben POV: 

We crept through the dark building, looking left to right. Suddenly, a shadow (the one that was behind me, but I didn't know that) jumped in front of us and promptly knocked Mike out.

"AHHH!" I yelled. The shadow turned towards me and leapt at me, kicking me in the chest and pinning me against the back wall.

"Who are you?" the shadow asked in a voice that sounded like a girl.

"Um, I'm Ben Ripley-"

"No, I mean who do you work for?" she shoved harder against my chest, making it hard to breathe.

"I'm only 13! I don't have a job yet!" I said, wondering what she was talking about and also wondering if she needed professional help.

"I do not need professional help," she stated.   

"Wait, how'd you read my mind?"

"Quit avoiding the question. What organization do you work for?"

"Uh, what?" I said. "Organization? Are you all right in the head?"

She glared at me and seemed to be saying something into her hand. I could barely make out what she was saying:

"Grandpa, the suspect seems to be innocent and has no idea what I'm talking about."

"If we let them go, they'll just blab to everybody about what they saw today, and we'll be in hot water," said another voice that sounded like an older man.

"Commence plan B?" she said again. By now, Mike was waking up and sat up, groaning and holding his head. The shadow kicked out a foot and knocked him out again. Honestly, I don't think 2 concussions in one day is good for your head.

"Affirmative. Is there another suspect?"

"Yes. But he is unconscious."

"Commence plan B for the conscious suspect. For the unconscious one, make him forget everything as he is already vulnerable from being knocked out. Then toss him onto a sidewalk a couple of blocks from here."

After eavesdropping on their conversation, it sounded like they were spies. I might have been just grasping at straws, though, since they could just like talking weirdly. 

"Is this a school?" I asked the shadow. She nodded and pulled off her mask, revealing the prettiest girl I have ever seen in my life. I froze in place and almost fell unconscious (don't even ask).

"Are you okay?" she asked, waving a hand in front of my face. 

"Uh, yeah," I said, blinking. If I had known her better, I'd have noticed that her behaviour was very OOC since after all, she was the Ice Queen and didn't seem to care about anyone else. But I just thought that was normal for her to do and followed her down the hall.

"Where's all the other students?" I asked her. She made the whisper gesture and leaned in close to my ear.

"They're all being held hostage in the auditorium."

"Okay," I whispered. "Aren't you a student?"

"Yes," she whispered back.

"Why aren't you with them?"  

"I skipped the assembly. Anyway, we have to signal for help somehow."

"Uh, what?"

"We have to activate a beacon in the principal's office," she told me.

"And where is that?" I asked. She was about to answer me, but then we both heard footsteps thumping up the stairs two flights behind me.

"Go!" she whisper yelled at me. I ran up the stairs and found myself in a long hallway. As I walked down it towards a bunch of doors, I heard footsteps behind me. I ducked into the nearest door, which led into a library. A fully armed person walked past, sweeping a flashlight right and left.

I was wondering if there was a different way to get help instead of using the beacon in the principal's office. It will have to be big enough to attract help. Suddenly, I had a brainstorm. What if I made a fire to attract people's attention? Smoke can rise high and can be noticed by many people.

I grabbed a bunch of books off the shelf, fished my pack of matches out of my pocket, and made a bonfire in the middle of the library. I made sure to make a hole in the roof so the smoke could get through. After the smoke rose through the hole, I ran out of the library, not wanting to get caught by the evil people.

The girl leapt out at me as I was rounding the corner.

"What happened?"  

"The principal's beacon was guarded so I made a bonfire in the library." She stood there open-mouthed at me.

"What?" I asked. "You said that we needed a beacon! It's not like people will only help us if they get a certain kind of signal." Right after I said that, I grasped what the girl was thinking. "It was a test, wasn't it? I had to get into the principal's office and activate that beacon to complete the test."  

"Yes," the girl said. "But you thought outside the box, so maybe you'll pass."

"Yes," said the voice that the girl was talking to a couple of minutes ago. "You did pass. Although you didn't activate the beacon, you thought of another solution outside of the box and acted on it. As for now, an A+." I turned around and saw an old man standing behind me, maybe about 60-70 years old, but still in shape and muscular.

"But he didn't complete the assignment!" said a snobby voice coming from a guy in a toupee.  

"Did I ask for your opinion?" the older man glared at him, and he shut up immediately. Behind him were several other important-looking people, who all nodded and wrote stuff down in their notebooks.

"I see you have already met Erica," the older man told me, gesturing behind me to that girl.

"Your name's Erica?" I asked her. She nodded.

"My name is Cyrus Hale, Erica's grandfather," he introduced himself to me. I got the feeling that he was impressed by my solution outside the box.

"I'm Ben Ripley, sir," I said, shaking his outstretched hand. "I also have some questions. So was this like an entrance exam?"

"Sort of," he said. "If you don't want to join, though, you don't have to."

"Join what?"

"I can't tell you until you join."  

"Is this like a boarding school?"  

"Yes."

"So I'll basically have to transfer from my previous school to this one?"

"Yes."  

"Okay. Let's do it!"

"Really?"

"Sure."

"If you join, you have to promise to not say anything about this school to anyone else, or else we will kill you."  

"Whoa," I said, thinking that that was a bit extreme. "Kill me?"

"Yes."  

"Okay, I promise. What's the big deal about this school?" I asked, not prepared for the answer he was about to give me.

"This is the CIA's Academy Of Espionage."