PROEM

"VLY!"

I stared curiously at the man who called my mom. He's rough-looking. Dirty even if his black and sleek hair was neatly combed on the back. And awkward because of his golden teeth in front. He was smoking his big, fat, tobacco while gold jewelries embellished on his fat neck and wrist as well as his fingers.

I clung on my mom's arms when he looked at me. "Is she the heiress?" The man grinned.

"Do I have to say it out?"

He checked on me. "Bold and strong personality. She looks exactly like you."

Matunog na ngumisi si mommy. "Of course. I didn't raise her myself for a day, Reg."

At first, I didn't know why my mom brought me here. In this kind of place. Yeah, it's luxurious but people here made me feel suffocated. But then, as she introduced me to people here, I knew what she's up to.

"Soon enough, you will inherit all of my businesses." She turned to me and smiled firmly. "So, if you don't wanna be a chemist, marry a chemist man. Give me that, Duress. Don't let your mother down."

I sighed. It's been months since she told me that but until now that I was engaged to the man she wanted for me, I still couldn't leave it out my mind. Kasi...ayoko.

"Huy!" I batted my eyes when Dolce snapped in front of me. "Let me remind you that we're here to party. We're not attending for a funeral for you to make a face like that!" That's what she thought. But we're here para makiramay sa namatay na puso ni Hari at sa namatay kong pangarap. "You know what? Whatever you're thinking right now, shoo it away and feed it with spirits! Here!"

Dolce kept on giving me shots. Hindi naman ako may kailangan niyan. Si Hari. And speaking of the devil, I couldn't find her here. Nasaan na kaya 'yon?

Medyo lasing na rin ako.

"Hi," bati ng lalaki sakin. I gave him a frown. Bad dick for a man. "Duress, right?"

"How did you know me? Stalker ba kita?"

Ngumisi siya. "You can give me that. Kaibigan ako ni Hari."

"Sa tanda mong 'yan, kaibigan ka niya? Baka sugar daddy!"

He chuckled. "I am looking for a sugar baby. Pwede ka ba?"

"Afford mo ba ako?" I didn't know why I fueled the topic. Dala na rin siguro ng alak. I grinned to add more spice to my witty remark.

"Magkano ba ang gatas mo, baby?"

"This baby is high maintenance. She wanted to study in Madrid for her fashion degree course. But the problem is, her mother wanted her to get a chemistry major. If she wanted to study abroad, she has to marry a chemist. What do you think your baby has to do?"

"Marry me then."

My brows twitched, curious to his suggestion. "And why is that?"

"So your mother didn't have to force you to marry someone you don't like and you will get your desired career."

I grinned at him. Marrying him in secret? Why not? Inwardly, I shook my head. What was I thinking? Lasing na ba talaga ako?

"So?" He gave me a taunting look while brows were twitching.

"Hmm..." I acted like I was thinking. "Propose to me first. And I will have to think about it while you're on your knees."

Malakas siyang tumawa. This guy was selfish. He took my attention alone. With him infront, everything faded into the background.

"Paano ba 'yan? I have no ring to propose."

I looked at my fingers. I wasn't wearing my aesthetic ring just the same. Ngumuso ako.

"Then we're not meant to be bound tonight." He grinned again but his eyes said otherwise. "What?"

"Hindi naman kailangan singsing talaga ang ipasok," he said dirtily. Ngumuso siya.

"What?" Konti nalang ay maiinsulto na ako.

"Your earrings are round." Kinapa ko ang tainga ko. My earrings were self-locking. "Take that one out."

Napatawa ako nang pagak, upon realization, amazement slowly dawned on me. Napapailing kong tinanggal ang isang hikaw ko. I gave it to him and he began to pin down his one knee on the floor.

"Duress Yuzon, will you be my sugar baby?" Tumawa ako sa tanong niya. Oh, God! I never laughed like this ever since my mother told me about the inheritance and engagement.

"Yes, daddy."