Prologue (His Bitter Past) - 14. Betrayal

1. Prologue (His Past) - 14. Betrayal

The next morning, Angel and Ilex were already in the study room before the sun fully rose. In front of them, King Gervis was sitting behind his desk, his hands opening a map.
"Come closer," he ordered.

They approached him.

King Gervis showed them the map and pointed to an X mark.

"This is where your destination is, your mission is to find the rebel's hideout

"This is where your destination is, your mission is to find the rebel's hideout. This place is dangerous, so you have to handle this mission with caution. Even though I already assigned a platoon of elite troops to come along, you can't be careless. After you complete your mission, get out of there immediately and go back to South Point Town, do you understand? "

"We understand," they answered.

King Gervis turned his gaze to Ilex.
"Ilex, you are the leader of this expedition. You must be able to carry out this mission well and show your quality as a leader."

"Yes, father. I won't disappoint you."

King Gervis turned his gaze to Angel.
"Angel, I'll leave this map to you, show them the way. I know you haven't recovered yet, but this is an urgent mission. I'm counting on you," he said as he rolled up the map and gave it to Angel.

"I understand," replied Angel, his hand taking the map and placing it in his inner blazer pocket.

Ilex bowed.
"Father, we will leave now." Then he left.

Angel also bowed and followed Ilex.

They walked down the corridor to the castle's front yard. As they walked, Angel's attention was shifted to the sword on Ilex's belt, the handle was covered with a cloth and its shape was different from his usual sword.

"What's wrong with your sword? Did you replace it?" said Angel out of blue. He remembered Ilex said the royal blacksmiths had finished some weapons a week ago, so he guessed Ilex decided to try a new sword for this mission.

Ilex quickly covered his sword with his hand.
"It has nothing to do with you!" he said in displeasure before he fastened his pace.

Angel breathed in a weary sigh and ran after him.
'It's weird, why does he cover up his sword like that?' Some bad thoughts crossed his mind, but he quickly threw them away.
'That's impossible. There's no benefit for them for doing it ... ' A month ago, after he turned seventeen years old, they took him to his father's grave and forced him to make an oath that he would never take the kingdom of Asteria's throne. Apart from that, he was a prince, killing him would only tarnish King Gervis and Ilex's reputations. Moreover, everyone knew he had already won that hunting competition, wasn't their crime too obvious? And that would only destroy the Reinheart Family's reputation and would lead Asteria into aristocratic chaos. Therefore, judging from any point of view, eliminating him would only bring King Gervis and Ilex to a disadvantage. After all, if they wanted to kill him head-on, they should have killed him since he was a child.
'Am I thinking too much?'