Second Arc (His Art of War) - 71. Twisted Wish

Artheur kicked Angel's hand, breaking his grip. Angel's dark aura stopped as King Eudon lost his consciousness. Artheur pulled King Eudon away before his body fell onto the floor. While Rose immediately grabbed her uncle and pulled him away from them.

Quickly, Artheur threw his kick again, but Angel retreated to avoid him.
"I'm your opponent!" said Artheur angrily. He had never felt this angry before.

"Prince Artheur, can't you wait for your turn?" said Angel in a cold voice. He swung his sword, but Artheur caught it barehanded. As Angel pushed his sword, from behind, King Esteve suddenly threw a kick towards him. Unable to avoid it, Angel raised his left arm and flowed his dark aura to protect himself.

A cracking sound rang out as King Esteve's kick landed on it. Angel was thrown back and staggered as he grimaced in pain, holding the pain that was piercing him. He glanced at his arm and noticed it could no longer be moved any more. Of course, even though he already protected himself with his dark aura, he just took a direct hit from King Esteve. But from his fighting experience, based on the pain he could judge, his bones weren't broken.

Angel plugged his sword to the floor and glared at them.
"Two against one, what a fair fight," he said as he returned his left arm's bones position with his other hand accompanied by another cracking sound. The pain pierced him once again but soon disappeared as he could move his left hand as before.

He took his sword back and pointed it at them.
"I'll end everything in one strike!" He knew, if he fought them for too long he would be at a disadvantage. While his current power was very limited because the castle was still protected by the Magic Shield so he was planning to exert his dark aura in his next attack.

Artheur and King Esteve exchanged glances a moment before they moved forward and attacked him at the same time. Angel swung his sword, the dark aura from his sword threw them and enveloped them, making them unable to move.

Both of them fell to the floor, struggling, trying to get away but in vain. He smirked evilly. Even though that attack was draining his power, this way he could take care of King Esteve and Artheur at once. But a second later, his smirk faded as he turned his gaze to Rose who was examining King Eudon and trying to wake her uncle up. Angel knew he must kill them immediately since their poison ability was very dangerous but his heart refused, even his legs felt heavy to move.

'No ... I must not let my feelings get in the way. ' He tightened his grip on his sword as he made up his mind. But suddenly Flare approached him and bowed.
"Your Majesty, Scarlet Stone Castle is completely under our control now."

"Very well," he replied without taking his eyes off Rose.

As he was about to move towards Rose, Flare spoke again.
"Your Majesty, there is another important thing I wish to report."

"Say it."

"Our troops have caught two suspicious people. They disguised as Princess Rose's maid and King Eudon's servant. We've checked them and found hiding weapons in their clothes." Flare drew closer and spoke in a lower voice.
"Frost recognizes them as Asteria elite soldiers."

Angel shifted his gaze to Flare.
"Are they trying to kill Queen Thea?" he guessed.

"No. They were trying to escape when Frost brought Queen Thea into the castle," replied Flare.

He frowned in confusion. There was too much oddity in this battle. Zephyrus' troops were fighting each other, Zephyrus' General who had been killed before he arrived and now Asteria elite soldiers in disguise.
'This is weird. If King Gervis or Ilex sent them to protect the Heart Family, why did they have to go undercover? If they are only spies, why do they carry weapons? ' Suddenly a possibility flashed through his head.
' Were they ordered to kill King Eudon and Princess Rose? But why? Didn't they collaborate to take down Euphorion before? ' he thought as he returned his gaze to Rose. But if King Gervis and Ilex wanted them dead, then he would have done the opposite. To be sure, Flare's report made him doubt his previous conclusions, including Rose's relationship with Ilex, because, with Asteria's current status, Ilex should support the Heart family's position instead of getting rid of them like this.
'I have to investigate what happened between Zephyrus and Asteria and why King Gervis and Ilex decided to kill the Heart Family.'
"Bring the letter and also prepare a letter for King Eudon," he ordered. Even though he made this decision based on his rationale, he honestly felt very relieved that he didn't have to kill Rose.