Prologue (His Bitter Past) - 18. Bad Rumour

1. Prologue (His Past) - 18. Bad Rumour

One week had passed after Angel's death. The sun was still shining brightly over the sky in Eternal Harmony City, the residents were supposed to be busy but not that afternoon. Many of them were standing by the side of the street and chatting in groups, disappointment and anger visible on their faces. Not only that afternoon, but also several days before, especially since the news about Angel's betrayal began to spread in the city and became everyone's topic of conversation in Eternal Harmony City, even throughout Asteria, for both the nobles and commoners, although the news had not been proven yet, showing that King Gervis had succeed spread the rumours, especially in the capital. He deliberately did this to facilitate Ilex's excuse for his mistake 'since he couldn't save Angel'. In addition, King Gervis also spread rumours about how Angel suddenly attacked him and almost succeeded in killing him and taking the King's Sword from him, luckily Ilex was with him and succeeded in thwarting Angel's rotten plan. With these bad rumours the nobles who support Angel would be cornered by the other nobles and the public's opinions, so in the end, they would have no other choice but to support King Gervis' decision.

"You know, I'm really disappointed in His Highness, Prince Angelus. Even though he didn't talk much, he always did his duty well and always came back with victory. I thought he was an excellent knight and deserved to be the next king of Asteria. But it turns out he is nothing more than a greedy man. "

"He's not greedy. He was afraid that the king would find out his identity as a fake Reinheart. That's why he attacked His Majesty and took the King's Sword away. I guess that traitor has taken the real Prince Angelus identity since the late King Renart died," replied another.

"What made you think like that?" the man turned his head with a serious face.

"Do you remember how good King Renart and King Gervis' relationship was? Everyone knows that King Gervis loved Prince Angelus more than his own son, though Prince Angelus often made trouble in the castle."

"Ah ... I remember it. The late king was furious when Prince Angelus messed up his reports and gave him a harsh punishment. But King Gervis requested his brother to reduce Prince Angelus' sentence and was willing to help the late king take care of the reports, though he just came back from a long mission. "

"Now, you mention it. Since King Renart's death, King Gervis has changed his attitude towards Prince Angelus."

"Yes, I also realized about it. It seems the king already knew something was wrong from the start, but he had to hold himself since there were nasty accusations at that time."

"What accusations?"

"Some say the king killed his brother to take over the throne. But as you know, the late King Renart and King Gervis were very close, they even often fought together. Why did they kill each other? After all, the wounds on King Renart's body indicated that he was killed by one of the ancient Dark King's followers. Isn't it strange? That dark magic user killed the late king but he left the prince unharmed? "

The man thought for a moment.
"Indeed it is strange ..." Then he remembered something.
"Ah! Talking about taking over the throne, it could be that the king slandered Prince Angelus because he wanted Prince Ilex to be the king."

"Hush! Watch your mouth!" replied the other in panic and that man immediately covered his mouth with the same expression and looked around.
"Everyone knows that Prince Ilex is the crown prince's strongest candidate. Even though Prince Angelus' abilities are much better than Prince Ilex, his relationship with the nobles is not good. He is only suitable as a fighter, not a leader. That's why King Gervis never entrusted any army to him. Unlike Prince Ilex who is able to lead his own army. " The commoner never knew that the crown prince was determined by the hunting competition, that's why King Gervis could manipulate this rumour easily.