Chapter 8

John's Apartment; The Next Morning

John awoke early, sitting on the couch, as the sun begins to rise, the darkness of the night slowly being replaced by its light. 'D*amn it we have school today.' He thought to himself. John notices movement in the corner of his eye. He stands and turns abruptly to find Arlo getting ready to leave by the window. Quietly, John approaches and calls to him.

-"Hmm?" He inquires.

-"It's just me. Are you leaving this early? There's still a few hours 'til our first class."

-"I see no reason to stay here any longer." The blonde answers. John sighs in defeat, knowing there wasn't much point in arguing with Arlo about something this trivial.

-"Do what you want then." John senses more movement, turning to see the other person that was occupying the sofa standing to get up.

-"You two..." she pauses to yawn, "...are so loud."

-"Good morning to you too, Elaine." The blonde responds.

-"Mornin'." John says as he tips an invisible hat. Elaine yawns a second time, stretches, and walks a few steps over to them.

-"So, Arlo, you leavin' early?"

-"Most likely."

-"'kay. Mind if I walk to school with you? I don't think Seraphina needs me anymore. She seems to be fine. Maybe some tonics from Doc for some minor stuff, but that's about it."

-"Uhm, sure, Elaine." Arlo answers. John looks back and forth between the two, raising his eyebrows, but stops, thinking nothing of it. A thought crosses his mind.

-"Hey Arlo, since you two will probably get to school earlier, could you tell Headmaster Vaughn about what happened yesterday and last night? I would, but there's no guarantee I'll even get to school on time with the other two still sleeping." Arlo grunts an ambiguous reply, so Elaine steps up.

-"Sure, John. Does he already know about your ability?"

-"Of course, although, it isn't in any of the school records. Instead I'm pretty sure it's in private filing, written without copies."

-"Interesting that they'd go to those lengths. I won't judge, though. You're one of if not the strongest person I know." Elaine comments. Arlo glares at her and she notices through peripheral vision. She instantly reacts.

-"I didn't mean any disrespect, Arlo!"

-"None taken, don't worry about it." He then smiles. 'A smile?' John thinks to himself. 'What's with him? He doesn't joke around.' John dismisses it temporarily as shock from the night before.

John watches as the two get ready and leave, walking in silence back towards their dorms. He sits back down and starts reading a book he'd been meaning to continue for a while. After a bit of reading, John goes over to the kitchen and grabs a bowl of cereal. He moves over to the window by the living room and enjoys the calm suburban area around his apartment. A groggy pink-haired girl exits the bedroom, and spots John. Smiling, she greets him.

-"Hi, John!" Looking around, she notices that he was the only one in the apartment other than Seraphina. "Hey, did Elaine and Arlo leave?"

-"Yup, wanted to get to the dorms earlier, I guess. They will probably tell the Headmaster about last night as well."

-"Okie dokes." She pauses talking, going to grab a bowl of cereal for herself. She walks back to John, and they eat in silence. When John notices both of them are done, he nudges Remi.

-"You done?" Gesturing to the bowl.

-"Uh yeah. Thanks!" She replies as she hands the bowl to John. He rinses the bowls in the sink and leaves them to be washed for later. He heads back over to Remi and the window. She looks up towards him, her movement catching his attention.