Chapter: 22

Chapter 22

Disclaimer: I own nothing. Rick Riordan does.

Also: Swear word alert!

----------

Leo was really bad at not messing up. He was also really bad at not sneaking out.

So, in all fairness, Leo decided it was Percy's fault for giving him the responsibility of night watch.

Anyway, now I need to just figure out the way back, and then hope that a monster didn't eat Percy while he was asleep.

How the fuck did I get lost in one minute, anyway?

After about 10 minutes, Leo found Percy, who had thankfully not been eaten in his sleep, and he sat down acting like he hadn't wandered around and gotten lost. He decided to continue working on his machine. At the moment, he was just working on the structure, so he barely had to concentrate and let his thoughts wander around.

After a while, a disturbing thought came over him.

How could no monster have attacked? And not just this once, even when driving to Camp Half Blood. Even the time I sneaked out, the Nemean Lion was the only monster that attacked.

He was probably overthinking, but his instincts told him otherwise. And unfortunately, being a demigod meant that your instincts were always right.

Ugh, no one likes you, instincts.

But then again, his instincts were the reason he was alive.

----------

The creature writhed in pain. It looked like a snake-dragon hybrid. But much bigger.

"Did you say something?" A cold and hostile voice inquired. Calypso had never heard this voice before, given the fact that it was ancient. She had the distinct impression that the person speaking had existed long before she did.

"I-I was simply giving a suggestion." Calypso could feel the fear in its voice. Strange substances swivelled in and out of existence as sparks flared around the beast. Her ears were flooded with sickening screams, which didn't seem like they would ever stop.

Her eyes shot open.

She found herself leaning against a tree. Honestly, she had no idea how she'd gotten a vision while walking. Her mind raced, wondering what it could've meant. That creature seemed familiar, like she'd heard it before. She just couldn't seem to remember. And that other voice... It had resonated power. Whatever the vision had meant, it had sent fucking chills down her spine, and had terrified her to the bone.

The night sky was dark and dull: the same way it had been for the past few days. Leaves and twigs crunched under her feet, and the wind slowly picked up its pace, blowing her hair into her face. She noticed the faint smell of burnt leaves; maybe a recent campfire had gone wrong.

Earlier, she had decided to find the nearest hotel, book it for a few days with help from the mist, and then just hope that a monster wouldn't come. That's when she noticed something strange. She saw two people leaning against some trees, with screwdrivers and pieces of scrap metal next to the first person. There was a pen lying on the floor next to the second person.

She recognised those two people as Leo and Percy, and felt a wall of emotions hit her.

Why are they outside camp? Are they looking for me, or did they also find out about the quest? Does Leo miss me- or is he over it? Didn't I technically break up with him by leaving that note? Does Percy hate me? Is it really my fault that Annabeth died, or was there another factor?

She knew the last question's answer, and suddenly her stomach churned with guilt. She tried pushing away her unnecessary thoughts, and decided that she could sneak past them: Percy was deep asleep, and Leo had zoned out.

Calypso changed her direction so that she was going behind them, and had just made it behind them, when she noticed Leo stiffen.

Shit. 

"Calypso?" 

[A/N:]

[So... I had a horrible writer's block, which is why I couldn't write anything. Thankfully, I got rid of it. And I am seriously sorry for not posting for so long. Ngl I thought I'd run out of inspiration and would have to discontinue this, when I got an idea. So no, I will not discontinue it.]

[Anyway, that's it, and hopefully the next chapter will be here soon.]

"Yeah, Reggae? Merengue? Hold on, I'll get it. Calypso!"