Chapter 10

Friday morning Chris came into the kitchen, she looked around. Strong was standing by the stove, Chris asked "What are you still doing here? I could have come to the station later by myself." Strong laughed "Oh come on, I took the day off. We'll have breakfast in peace and then we'll go to the precinct to join the others. The others are looking forward to seeing you." Chris sat down at the counter and looked thoughtfully at her hands, she said "I don't know how I'm going to manage. I can't and probably won't ever be able to carry heavy things again. Besides, I'll never have the stamina I used to have either..." Strong put a plate of scrambled eggs and toast in front of her. She sat down in front of it and said "Chris, it's going to be okay. I know this feels strange. To come back different than you were before but listen to me good! Your character has not and will not change!" Chris looked at Strong questioningly and asked, "Are you serious?" Strong looked at Chris seriously and said "Yes, I mean it. You are strong Chris, you can make it back to life! Besides, you are not alone, today you will see your friends or rather your family again. So cheer up but let's have breakfast first." Chris nodded "You're right." They ate their breakfast. Then they drove together to the S.W.A.T. station. Strong parked her car and they were about to go in together. Chris got nervous "I can't do this yet!" Strong stopped in front of Chris and put her hands on her shoulders. She said seriously "Chris, you'll never really be ready." Chris nodded and entered the precinct together with Strong. They went to the headquarters, there they met Hondo and Street. Hondo was pleased and called out "Hey Chris, how are you?" Chris looked at Strong, who nodded. Chris replied "It's getting better every day..." Street walked up to Chris and hugged her. Street said "I missed you." Strong asked Hondo curiously "Where are the others?" Hondo replied "The others are in the kitchen. Luca brought some food from our foot truck, let's go to them." Hondo went into the kitchen with Street, Strong and Chris. As soon as Chris came through the kitchen door, Luca joyfully called out "Chris!" He came up to them and gave Strong a hug. Chris said "Hey Luca not so tight..." Luca let go of her again and apologized "Sorry Chris, I didn't mean to hug you too tight." Chris swallowed. She looked at Strong and said desperately "Sorry, I'm not ready yet..." Tears came to her eyes and she ran out of the kitchen Luca asked desperately "Did I hurt her?" Strong sat down on a chair and shook his head, answering "No you didn't Luca." Luca exhaled in relief. Deacon asked "Is everything okay with Chris?" Strong looked up and said "Actually yes, she's just doubting herself a lot. She thinks the injury changed her and she's afraid of what's coming now..." Deacon sat down as well and said "I see." Tan asked "Is there anything we can do to help her?" Strong pondered "Well, I don't think she'll be coming here as much for a while. I think it would be a good idea if you guys would come visit her at my place every now and then. She has regular physical therapy but she is home quite often. I'm going to go check on Chris, I think I know where she is," Strong replied and walked off. She found Chris in a corner of the training area. She sat down next to her and asked, "Do you want me to take you home?" Chris thought about it but shook her head "No, I need a moment. I'm still pretty out of breath." Strong looked at Chris seriously and said "You know you have to be careful!" Chris nodded and said sadly "Yeah and I hate that!" Strong put an arm around her shoulder and said "Come on I'll help you." She helped Chris stand up and slowly walked with her towards the exit. At the exit they once again met Hondo and the others. Street asked "Are you guys leaving again?" Strong nodded to Chris, Chris went ahead to Strong's car. Strong answered Street "Yes, I'm taking them home again. Like I said you guys are welcome to come visit." Hondo looked behind Chris and asked "Does she have any consequential damage?" Strong looked at Chris seriously and replied thoughtfully "I don't know if she'll be okay with me telling you all I know now but you'll find out soon anyway." She said goodbye and went to her car. She sat down in the driver's seat and said "Let's go." Chris nodded.