↳ 22

ARC II.
THE PROLOGUE.

In a grassy training field, there were two figures. One was notably a female, with sakura pink hair and lime green tips. She was tall, holding a sword as she slides into a stance. Her eyes were bright with pride and surprise, a small smile curling on her lips.

The other figure was a young man with burgundy hair that was slicked back, with determined wine red eyes that shone in the sunlight. Hanafuda earrings swayed from his ears as he lets out shallow pants. He too, held a sword on his hands. The symbol sown on his back seemingly burned, serving as a reminder that he could not afford to be weak - that he had to grow stronger.

"Again." The woman spoke, before she seemingly disappeared from thin air. If Tanjiro was the same boy from before - who relied too much on his nose and did not have a proper trainer after graduating, then he would have been beaten to the ground.

But he wasn't the same boy from before.

So when he raises his sword, golden flames illuminated the field as he blocked a sword coated in crescents. The boy pivoted, bringing his sword down on the figure. Mio moves away, a noticeable smile playing on her lips as Tanjiro quickly moved into the defense, his flames momentarily disappearing. Unlike before, Tanjiro could fully utilize the Hinokami no Kagura after Mio gave him a worn out notebook - written by her ancestor's brother, who was the first breath user.

Paired with Hanako's grueling training from before, Tanjiro's ability and prowess have greatly improved. Mio had no doubt that at the five months she's been training Tanjiro, that the boy could very well match a Pillar.

The two exchanged powerful blows, the dust kicking up and sparks clashing and flying everywhere. Tanjiro has grown strong, stronger than he was before. He has become someone who could take the spot of a Pillar.

But he was still not strong enough for Mio.

Mio disappeared in a flash of pink and green, her sword surrounded by crescents as her sword clashed with Tanjiro's. Mio uses her extreme flexibility against him, wrapping a leg around his before slamming him down. Tanjiro yelped when his back hit the ground, a wheeze escaping him at the pressure. He blinks blearily, noting that Mio's sword was against his throat. He looks up at the Hashira, expecting to see cold eyes and a harsh get up!.

He does not see any of it.

Instead, what he sees is a proud smile, with glittering lime green eyes that shone in pride.

"Good job, Tanjiro."

She offered a slim hand to him, and Tanjiro took it without hesitation. Mio smiles softly at him, ruffling his hair. "You've improved a lot, Tanjiro. Come, I have dango." She offers, making Tanjiro beam brightly. He sheathes his sword, and patted away the dirt on the white haori. He followed the Hashira, gazing at the expanse of the forest of the Hashira.

When the backyard comes into view, Tanjiro lets himself relax. He closes his eyes, inhaling the scent of the forest

"Tanjiro."

The redhead blinks from where he sat, craning his head. He sees Hanako who looked liked she just got back from a mission, with her hair tousled and her haori a bit dirtied. "Hanako! Welcome Home!" He greets her brightly, and the young girl nodded. She walks over to him, gracefully sitting down. She stares at what he was doing, sewing his haori.

"Why did it get ripped?" Hanako asks him, tilting her head. Tanjiro laughs sheepishly, pointing at the fallen Kunai's. "I tried practicing my aim but...As you can see, it did not end well." Tanjiro rubs his nape, avoiding Hanako's coal orbs.