↳ 20

The clearing was dreary and dark, the stench of rotting and burning flesh thickened the atmosphere

The clearing was dreary and dark, the stench of rotting and burning flesh thickened the atmosphere. Smoke rose in tall columns, craters littered the area.

By the middle, you could see two figures.

One was standing in a defensive position, barbed whips protruding from his back. It waved around menacingly, the tips dripping with blood. His eyes were an eerie shade of red, pulsing with both anger and surprise. His body was smoking, flesh burnt in some areas and blood dripping on the ground.

In front of him was a young girl who was kneeling and leaning against her sword. Tears of blood ran down on her cheeks, streaks of ash and smoke covering her face. Her clothes were torn, and she had numerous cuts and slashes  decorating her body. Her side had a particularly deep gash that bled profusely. Her hair was a disarray, tangled with blood and smoke.

She stands up, wobbling as her blood dripped on the dirty ground. Exhaustion and pain was written all over her face, but she still slid into a stance. Her hand lit up with fire, pursing her lips as she cauterized her bleeding wound. It will do for now. "You're not yet done?" Her enemy chuckles darkly, whips moving around menacingly. "I thought...I told you..." She panted, her eyebrows scrunched together in pain. Onyx eyes swirled to life, blood red orbs with a flower pattern replacing her eyes.

"I'm not going down until you go down with me."

And so, Hanako and the Demon King began another dangerous dance.

By the side, two figures stood. The other was a female, leaning against the tree trunk. Besides her was a taller male, arms crossed and eyes following the fight before him. Despite having grievous wounds and fatigue weighing her down, Hanako did not let up in her attack. She still moved quickly, eyes spinning as she predicted her opponent's movements. It amazed him, to see a young girl like her fight the Demon King all alone.

His older brother will admire her for sure.

"She won't win." The voice of his female companion snapped him out of his thoughts, making him turn his head to her. "Why do you say so?" He asks her, onyx eyes sliding back to the fight. "Hanako wasn't ready to face him. She still had so much to learn. Her strength is limited. The only thing keeping her from falling is her sheer determination to protect her precious people." The female stated, eyes unnaturally solemn and voice brittle. True to her words, if you looked at the battle closely, Hanako's movements were sluggish and uncoordinated.

She was tired.

"Unlike the both of us, Hanako was fortunate enough to be spared from the horrors of war," The male countered. "But she wasn't fortunate enough to be spared from the horrors of humanity." The woman commented bitterly, eyes clouded. "Hanako will lose her life in this fight and her eyes will be taken. We can't let that happen." The woman firmly says, pushing herself off of the tree. "So we fight back? Do we engage the Demon King?" The male questioned her. The woman smiles, and it is dark and cold.