↳ 08.5

"Those who never understand true pain, will never understand true peace

"Those who never understand true pain, will never understand true peace."

Naruto freezes at Pein's words, something in him stirring at his words.

Memories of a young girl with dark hair walking away from the gates of Konoha, never to be seen again, surfaced in his mind.

"Never...understand true peace?" He croaks, lowering his head. Memories of him talking her ear off, memories of her shaking her head almost fondly, memories of her helping him hone his skills, it all surfaced in his brain.

He looks up, glare defiant. "Do you think...being the son of the Fourth Hokage spared me from true pain?" He almost growls, but he managed to control his voice. "No, I know you weren't spared from true pain." His enemy commented, looking at him unnervingly. "Three years ago, one of your close friends perished, yes?" He tilts his head, as if he was engaging in a casual conversation. Naruto stiffens at his words, blood turning icy cold. Pein takes note of the sudden anger in the teens' eyes, but he still opens his mouth. A God will never be afraid, he muses.

"The Akatsuki takes note of powerful Shinobi, Uzumaki Naruto. Her name was...Uchiha Hanako, yes?" He states. "She was twelve years old, Ranked Jounin. The Heiress of the Uchiha Clan, one of the youngest Jounin to be promoted, even in peace time," Pein stops, and an almost small smile curled in his lips. His next words caused Naruto to grit his teeth.

"She was also one of the youngest Jounin to be killed in action."

Naruto remembers that day all too clearly. He remembers being woken up from his sleep by a red faced Sakura at his door. He remembers dashing to the Hokage tower and barging in the office without a care. He remembers seeing Sasuke crumpled on the ground, sobs wracking his body as murmurs of apologies escaped him. He remembers seeing Itachi silently weep at the corner, unable to look at anyone, his fists trembling at the news. He remembers seeing Aunt Mikoto, back from her mission, eyes whirring, chakra growing wilder as if she couldn't believe the news. He remembers seeing Uncle Fugaku turning away to conceal his tears, not even his cold stature deterring the tears that left him.

Naruto remembers meeting the eyes of the Fourth Hokage, his Father, whose cerulean hues betrayed his emotionless facade. Whose eyes held pain and grief, as he uttered those words that destroyed Naruto's world.

"Uchiha Hanako, Heiress of the Uchiha Clan, Rank: Jounin, was reported Missing in Action two weeks ago. Officially, earlier in the morning, a squad of ANBU Operatives finally caught a trail. It has been noted that there was a great battle that took place in that area, but no sight of the Jounin nor the enemy she faced. Due to this undeniable fact, it is officiay. Uchiha Hanako is declared Killed in Action."

He remembers screams and tears that left him at his Father's announcements, the denial that burned through his chakra coils when he lashed out at the Hokage. He remembers Sasuke, composed and arrogant Sasuke, collapsing in the arms of their equally weeping pink-haired team mate. He remembers Mikoto pulling her eldest into her arms, whispering sweet nothing's to Itachi's ears, as Fugaku wrapped his arms around them both, dragging Sasuke and essentially, Sakura, to his embrace.