Chapter 4

Izumi went with Ranpo and Atsushi to a crime scene. It turns out a detective named Yamagiwa had been found dead in the river, shot three times in the chest.

Ranpo kept trying to help to solve the case but Yamagiwa's boss, Minoura, is the officer in charge of the case and is initially dismissive of his help. Suddenly, something was caught in the net they set up to capture all the evidence. Everyone thought it was another body but it turns out to be Dazai. Izumi immediately pretend to puke when Dazai kneels beside the woman's body dramatically in despair, saying she since she was going to die anyway she should've committed double suicide with him, going on to say he's an extraordinary famous detective and will surely avenge her.

Then, Izumi and Dazai started bickering at each other while the rest were just looking like they were done. Ranpo  suddenly brightened up and asked the accompanying officer his name. He introduces himself as Officer Sugimoto, a junior of the murdered Miss Yamagiwa.

Ranpo slaps a hand on Sugimoto's shoulder and tells him he is now a famous detective and will solve this case in 60 seconds. Sugimoto immediately panicked. When Ranpo tells him his time is ticking he quickly straightens up and says that Yamagiwa was working on a case involving a suspected corruption among some politicians and was tracking activities of the mafia, pointing out how the 3 bullets in her chest are similar to the mafia's retaliation methods and that the mafia could've killed her to hinder the investigation.

Dazai interrupted Sugimoto and said that he's wrong. He said that the mafia retaliatory methods are to have the traitor bite a curb, kicking their head in, turning the victim over then shooting them in the chest 3 times. Meaning that the culprit was trying to frame the mafia. Sugimoto was looking very sad and asked who would shoot two extra bullets just to frame mafia as disguise. And the sixty seconds was up.

Then, Ranpo activated his ability. Dazai tells Atsushi and Izumi to observe the ability that kept the agency running. Ranpo put on his glasses, a flash of light suddenly shine on him and went as Ranpo paused for a moment, saying "Oh. I see.".

Ranpo than pointed to Sugimoto, saying that he was the culprit. Minoura laughed and asked if Ranpo's ability is to make people laugh, questioning how the murderer themself would be at the crime scene. He said that it's exactly as said, and that the murder would like to stay close to the scene. Then, he asked for Sugimoto's gun to prove his claim. Sugimoto stammered that he cannot hand his gun over to a civilian as he would get into trouble, Ranpo saying that if there isn't any evidence in the gun, then he is just as Minoura said he is.

Minoura told Sugimoto it's alright, and to show him his gun, Sugimoto suddenly becoming silent. Ranpo said that he's acting as such because he's trying to figure out an excuse for the 3 missing bullets in his gun, Sugimoto slowly moved his hand to his utility belt, grabbing the gun and pointing it to Ranpo, Dazai suddenly pushed Atsushi forward and Atsushi quickly pinned Sugimoto into the ground as the gun fired. Ranpo crouched next to Sugimoto, saying that the time of the crime was yesterday morning, the crime scene was the abandoned shipyard 140 meters upstream, and if they go there they'll find the Sugimoto and Yamagiwa's footprints, and the blood splatters he'd left.

Then, Ranpo, Izumi, Atsushi and Dazai went back to the agency and heard the afterneath. It turned out that she was killed accidentally and Sugimoto was just trying to cover it up. Izumi saw Atsushi asking Ranpo some questions. Kunikida called Izumi over and warned her not to mix with Port Mafia. He showed her a picture of her suspicious neighbor. She said "Wait, that is my suspicious moody neighbor next door!" The whole agency thought she was kidding at first but they immediately groaned when they saw her face. Her face was quite serious.

Izumi and her mom moved out of that apartment immediately and moved into an apartment near the agency so she did not get kidnap again. Gods know what will be her mom reaction if she get herself kidnapped again.