Hammer and Nails

Welcome back to The Water Alchemist. I don't own any of the intellectual property of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Chapter Five

Hammer and Nails

*** 

When Al had arrived, and the strange man escaped, I shakily retold the events to him. As Ed rejoined us, people began to file into our train car and started asking questions. It was a hectic scene. We were ushered out onto the grass, where we watched as the train slowly and painfully made its way up the tracks. The boys were wrapped up in giving their statements of the events to some official-looking investigators in blue uniforms that I assumed were with the military. Ed had flashed his credentials multiple times within the last hour. I sat on the grass by myself, within earshot of the brothers. They took turns looking back at me, seemingly worried I'd be carted off for real this time if they weren't careful. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but I didn't care to listen. I was lost in my thoughts. I couldn't think about anything but the man who caused this whole mess. Something about him was off, but I couldn't tell what bothered me more— his actions, or the familiar tone of his voice. I didn't get a good look at him, but I couldn't get his words out of my head. They echoed in between the brothers' conversation.

Who was he? What were his intentions? Why did I get the feeling I knew him from somewhere? I wondered. A medic came along to check on me and interrupted my thoughts. It was a young girl – maybe in her late twenties – with short black hair that blended in with the night and framed her heart-shaped face.

"Are you the young lady who was attacked?" she asked as she knelt next to me. I nodded, and she smiled sweetly. "Do you mind if I take a look at you?"

"Sure," I nodded and sat up a little straighter, and she got to work.

"Did you hit your head at all?"

"No, but I was hit on the back of my neck," I said.

"Is it alright if I touch you?" she asked. Her words were incredibly gentle. I nodded. She scooted behind me and moved the cumbersome hood of my jacket to expose the nape of my neck. As she did this, she asked how old I was, 'fifteen', and if I remembered what year it was, 'I don't know'. These answers and the general lack of alertness I demonstrated seemed to worry her. She looked at the back and front of my neck, tracing the purple bruises. "These are pretty serious."

I wasn't sure what to say. She immediately suggested I be admitted to the hospital. I tried to assure her that I was fine as she helped me to my feet. She ignored my refusal to be seen and directed me to the flashing lights of a medic car when Ed stepped in.

"Hey, she's with me," he flashed his state alchemy watch for easily the hundredth time tonight. She stopped pulling me along but kept a steady grip on my arm. "Where are you taking her?"

"She needs to see a doctor; she shows signs of memory loss aligning with head trauma. Then there are the bruises around her neck—"

"Look, we appreciate your concern," Ed interrupted, furrowing his brow. "Marina, do you feel like you need to see a doctor?" Al came up behind his brother, having finished talking to the investigators. I shook my head.

"Sweetheart, you really should," the medic tried again to convince me in a gentle voice. Her grip tightened slightly.

"We can get her checked out at a hospital in East City," Ed said as he grabbed my hand, pulling me away. "Is that okay with you, Marina?" His tone was as soft as his eyes, and when I looked up into them, I felt oddly safe. I nodded and clutched his hand a bit tighter.