TWENTY-THREE - Luck, Love, Faith, and Hope

TWENTY-THREE

~Luck, Love, Faith, and Hope~

Blake had locked the door to his house, and we were all sat in the car with Blake driving us to this 'surprise' place. To say that I was surprised by Blake's sudden kiss would be an understatement. While Blake was in the shower, I had asked Chris why his dad was acting so weird. Unable to answer properly because of his laughing fit state, all I got was "Daddy and I made a deal, but I can't tell you because it's a boy's secret".

It all made sense with that. Blake did it for Chris. I close my eyes and mentally groan. Why do I always think and wish there might be something more. Chris is the only one between us. Without him there's nothing. Don't forget that Jackie.

When I open my eyes, I find Blake turning onto a familiar street. Auntie's house. "Lottie's coming with us?" I ask with excitement.

"Nope," Blake answers, looking back at the giggling Chris through his rear-view mirror.

"So is Lottie's place supposed to be the surprise place...?" I ask, trying to get some sort of information out of him as he pulls into her driveway.

"No again." He answers, putting the car in park with the engine running. He takes off his seatbelt and gets out of the car, going around it. I, too, take off my seatbelt and open the door to get out of the car. Blake, however, closes the door back on me.

He opens Chris's door and undoes his seatbelt buckle as he tells me "Stay put, I'll be right back" He grabs Chris and his little backpack, taking him to the front door after closing the car door.

What is happening? Was Chris not coming with us? Maybe he wanted to tell me something regarding Chris and couldn't say it in front of him. It can't be... about his parents... could it?

Unknowingly, I grab my hands and start squeezing them. I see Blake making his way towards the car, looking around on the street. My phone buzzes and I check it. A message from Lottie.

Have fun! Don't be dumb. Enjoy your time. Talk properly so you're close together every morning! ;)

I feel my cheeks heating up at the thought, but I can't help but scoff. I don't think she knows what's about to happen.

"You're so off Lottie" I murmur, turning over my phone and looking down. I squeeze my hands as if they'll help me prepare for what's to come. The constant thought of Chris leaving burning my eyes.

Blake opens the door and gets in the car, putting his seatbelt on. He puts the gear in reverse and puts his hand behind my seat head, looking behind him and reversing. He goes to change the gear once again but stops. "You ok?" He moves the curtain of my hair with his finger, trying to get a better look at my face.