Chapter 11: Regret

The pounding in my head is the first thing I notice as I wake. Groaning, I bring my hands up to my skull as I push my face further into the pillow. The cushion is soft under me and smells faintly of flowers. I take a deep inhale of the scent, confused as my sheets typically smell old and musty.

Eyes closed, I flail out my arm in an attempt to grab the small clock on top of the dresser. Much to my surprise my hand instead lands on more mattress. My bed is a twin, and by no means wide enough for me to be able to stick my arm out like this without meeting the edge.

I jerk up into a sitting position as the realization sets in that I'm not in my own bed. I look around the small bedroom in a panic, not recognizing the space. Thankfully I am alone, but that doesn't do anything to soothe my anxieties. Did a Beast take me to his bed last night? Hesitantly, I look down at my body, tears filling my eyes as I realize that I'm not in the clothing I wore last night.

I rip back the blankets to get a better look, my shaky hands tugging at the giant gray sweatpants and black shirt covering my body. The clothing is huge on me, no doubt belonging to a man. Terror rushes through me and tears fill my eyes at the possibilities of what happened last night.

I remember playing a couple of games of chess with King Heloix, shouting things at him that I am sure to be punished for, but then everything else is a blank. It's as if my mind has been completely wiped.

Panic begins to set in as I try to recall my memories, only to fall short. The room I'm in looks eerily similar to those of the guards, just large enough to hold a queen bed and dresser. It's fairly sparse, with no belongings on the dresser or in the open closet.

Tentatively, I bring my hand down my pants and prod at myself, trying to find any tenderness or signs of rape. There's nothing of the sort, everything feeling normal, but I remain doubtful.

A small bathroom door is directly across from the bed, and I cautiously slip out of the sheets in case somebody is inside. I tiptoe through the room as I head to the exit, ready to make my escape. The floor is cold under my bare feet, and I quickly spot my shoes sitting by the door. I tiptoe over to them, careful to keep quiet as I slip them on my feet and rush out into the hallway.

Immediately, and to my relief, I notice that I'm not in the Beasts' corridor. Unfortunately, though, I'm not sure what part of the castle I'm in.

The hallway is empty and the guards haven't made it to their posts yet, signaling that it's still early and I'm not late for work. Despite being lost I begin heading down the corridor, hoping that I'll end up in an area that I recognize.

I can either head directly to the King's chambers and work to finish my cleaning early, giving me time to return to the servant's chambers and change while the humans are still out. Alternatively I can rush down there now, face their mockery as they take in the men's clothing covering my body, and be late for work.

It's a lose-lose situation, but the decision becomes easy as I round the corner and spot the King's door. I'm on the top floor? I spin back around to look down the corridor I just came from, realizing that it must be the King's empty wing. Whoever took me there last night must not have wanted anybody to see us.

I hurry over to King Heloix's door, sending a quick prayer that he is already gone, and head inside his room. The large lump underneath the covers of his bed is the first thing I notice as I enter, my panic rising as I realize that he's still asleep.

Figuring that I'll just come back later, I go to turn and leave, wincing as the door slams shut behind me. There's no way that I'll be able to heave open the door without waking him, so instead I decide just to wait patiently and clean his office until he wakes.