Chapter 54: Fight

"I'm glad to see that you're still able to shift." Axis comments, dropping his gaze back to the papers on his desk.

Heloix's Beast grumbles quietly, moving to the center of the room and plopping down on his haunches. I didn't realize that there was a threat of him no longer being able to shift, and I feel anger rise within me at the knowledge that it's just another important piece of information that's been kept from me.

Heloix must feel my frustration as he turns to look at me in confusion. Moments later I feel overwhelmed with regret, my eyes narrowing at the Beast as I realize that he's sending his emotions over to me.

"Were you able to get the humans to the woods?" I question, turning my attention to Axis.

He nods, placing his fingers on the desk and pushing a sheet out towards me to read. Heloix growls at the interaction, and Axis sighs before picking up the paper and politely holding it out to me.

He glares at Heloix as he does this, and I can't help but smirk at the sight of Axis being reprimanded.

"There are some rumors of an uprising happening in the city, and I expect that it'll make its way to the castle soon." He sighs, pushing back his hair.

I hope that nobody can see my shaking hand as I grab the paper from the desk. Looking it over, I grimace at the different areas that Axis has highlighted as being a problem. I was hoping that this wouldn't happen, and I glance at Heloix with worry. He seems to be doing a lot better, but the fact that he appears to be stuck in his wolf form is not comforting.

"And the estates down South?" I question.

"All good there. There were some deaths, which was expected, but most of the humans are alive and well."

I frown, not having been told anything about expected deaths.

"How many humans died?"

Axis sighs, glancing at Heloix briefly before answering.

"A couple hundred."

"A couple hundred." I repeat, my voice faint. "Out of how many?"

Axis glances at Heloix once more, and I angrily move to stand in front of him. I'm a grown adult, and technically now his Queen. He doesn't need Heloix's permission to share this information with me.

"About six thousand."

Heloix's Beast pushes against my back, and I lean against him. I was unaware that so many humans lived in the estates. My eyebrows furrow as I think over the numbers, a wave of sadness spreading through me.

Axis mentioned that Heloix's kingdom is where most humans reside, and the fact that there are only six thousand here is horrific. From what I've heard, there used to be millions of humans on the planet. Have the Beasts truly brought us onto the brink of extension?

"How many humans are there still in existence." I question.

Axis once more looks to Heloix's Beast for direction.

"Stop fucking looking at him." I snap.

His gaze zeroes in on me as I yell at him, eyes flashing in a threatening manner. Heloix's body pushes me to the side as he stalks towards Axis, deep snarls falling from his lips.

Axis almost immediately backs down, his body slumping into his chair as he drops his head to his chest in a sign of submission.

Heloix's Beast is pleased with the action, his feelings of dominance spreading to me and seeping into my bones. I watch as he backs up a couple of steps and lays himself down by my feet, his tail wrapping slightly around my legs.